tweaking Permagreen ride-on units (again)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 27, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We've tweaked our PG's for complete spray coverage (3.0 gpm pump + 12-volt motorcycle battery), but our next plan is to: 1) change to a slightly smaller pulley & belt in order to spread dry fert a little further, 2) extend the two nozzles out another 5 inches on each side to just inside the tires for a wider spray (keep in mind that the Magnums rely on one center nozzle -- not good in my opinnion). Has anyone else done this? (We're gunna do it soon). rscvp

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We installed a 12 volt motorcycle battery too. Then I installed a 1 gal fuel tank. I got tired of filling the thing under the spray tank after everyother lawn. Which 3 gpm pump did you use? What material did you use for extending the nozzels out? Did you do both lower and upper nozzels? Do you have pics? Thanks.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

No pics now Robert, I posted pics a few weeks ago that showed our 3.0 gpm pump mounted in the "spot spray" bracket. Installed the battery right behind it. Shurflo pump. We run Chaser ester, sometimes amines. Sometimes a 50/50 blend...depending on what the heck we're doing. We ain't no rocket scientists for sure. All we know is..if you ain't hittin' the weeds, they ain't gunna die.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Just an idea. Extend the short booms. Extend with some medium stiff sprayer hose and two clamps. Attach cord and pull the mini booms up to clear obstructions. Aim the nozzles outward.

Now change the plumbing so that the red nozzles spray at the same time and cover the center, overlapping somewhat.

With my almost stock Ultra, on cement my pattern is an unusual horseshoe shape. When moving I get two concentrated bands as the water solution dries up. Anybody got pictures of your pattern on cement? Ideas on improving the pattern?

5. americanlawn

from midwest

Hi Riggle -- good to talk to you again. Currently, our Ultra nozzles are 4 or 5 inches inside the outside of the tires. So I figure we can safely extend the nozzles 4 or 5 more inches so they will still be in the "safe zone". That's what we have in mind. I emailed a pic showing "complete spray" from our Ultra to a member who requested the pic via PM. I should have posted it on this site. I'll try to post a good pic here soon. Take care, american

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i dont like the single tip on my magnum i cat see when it is spraying or where it is going

7. americanlawn

from midwest

Yep -- DUSTY, you are not the only one I hear complaining about this. I test drove 2007 Magnum models several times, and several buddies also run these. Same complaint......... Our Ultras put these units to shame when it comes to weed spray (cuz we modified ours). We plan to buy 2 Magnums soon, but we will go through and "re-design" them right off the bat. 2 nozzles instead of one, etc, etc, etc. I think Permagreen needs to hire an Iowa farmer to finally engineer a unit that sprays right. My two cents worth.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What ever you do, don't run over the cat!!!

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

flat cat what do u think of that

10. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

why would you want to buy something you have to modified?hell i would call them and tell them they mightnot know there is a problem with there spray set up....

what do you guys grow out there in Iowa?all of the farms are shut down here in south florida until maybe end of aug or sept...