tweet tweet ..... smack!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gvandora, Jul 1, 2002.

1. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Kinda a sad story I thought I might share. This morning I was cutting a property when I noticed something small ahead of me that looked like a hockey puck sized piece of wood. Unfortunately it was not a piece of wood, it was a baby bird. I didn't stop in time unfortunately. The bird did not make it. Anyone else done the same or similar thing?

Cullen

2. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Had a frog commit suicide one day and jumped into my trimer line. Not a pretty site. Almost would rather hit dog ****. Alomst.:rolleyes:

3. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I've never hit a bird, but my properties are mostly waterfront so rarely a week goes by that I don't hit a few frogs with either the mower or the trimmer......you just can't see those damn things in the grass until it's too late.

4. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

I julianned Buggs bunny and his brother. One was sliced on the side the other was hopping around in pain I felt so bad . I suffer nightmares and can't watch Buggs Bunny cartoons. They were just babies. Cute littles bunnies they were .My Phschiatrist says I suffer from a rare condition known as "YO SI TI MI SAM I TIS. I guess that story is true .You know the one about the TORTISE and the HARE .YES IT was a SSSSSNNNNNAAAAAAAPPPPPEEEERRRR. SOB SOB SOB.

5. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow a 5 acre retention pond area once a month. In the summer the grass can grow to over a foot tall. Each time I cut I mulch dozens of the biggest rats I have ever seen. Kinda gives me the creeps but there's nothing I can do about it.

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

When I lived in KY I worked out side maint for the company my dad works for. In that country there are lots of little creeks, and tons of toads and frogs. When weed eating along the creeks you would nail a lot of toads every time.

The closest that I know of since then came from a dumb Robin that did not like me trimming close to the bush she had her nest in. She would make her dive bombing runs at me, and try to knock my hat off. After several weeks I was getting REAL tired of this. I sprayed her with the hose, and tried to hit her with the weedeater. After a lot of practice my reflexes were getting pretty good. One time she dive bombed me from behind, I was ready and flung the trimmer up into the air, all the while holding the throttle WIDE open. The dumb @@#** flew right thru the string running full throttle. There were a lot of feathers flying around, and she called me all kinds of names after that but never would dive bomb me again. :D

7. Dont think I ever hit a bird, lots of babies around this time of year and they like to scoot along the fence line while I'm trimming.
    I stop and move them over the fence.:angel:

I have mowed several snakes, never seems to kill them instantly so I have to get a shovel to finish the job & pick it up.

A lot of P.O. ed birds while shrub trimming.

#$%^ somedays I even watch out for ladybugs, no ^&** wonder I can't get more than 2-3 lawns done a day.:confused:

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Been lucky this year...only ran over a big ol' black snake. It really thumped around under the deck.....yuck.

Last week I found a baby bird, while trimming, that had fallen out of it's nest in a big bush. Missed it by inches. Put it back into the nest.

Earlier in the spring I showed up to cut a lawn and the owners had weeded the mulch beds and left the small piles out in the grass. Instead of just mulching 'em up I decided to grab a garbage bag and pick it up. Glad I did as there were a couple of baby bunnies hiding under one of them. When I picked up the pile they didn't even move...just laid real low with their ears down. Probably waiting for mommy rabbit to come back. I left that pile along with a note to the customer as to why that pile was still there. They (and their small children) got a real kick out of it...:) Man, was I glad it wasn't a big ol' snake under there.....

I hit a small bunny AND a turtle last year...hated it! :cry:

I would much rather run over terrorist hijackers/suicide bombers than small cuddly animals. :D

9. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I was mowing my grandmothers yard when she came out to tell me to come in to eat. I shut my mower off and went in to eat. I came back out about an hour late started my 48" WB then hit the switch to activate the blades. To my surprise 3 kittens came flying out of the discharge then the mower stalled. I raised the deck to find 2 more. Somehow none of them where seriously injured. I guess they were laying against the blades which kept them from building up much speed. Coupled with the fact that I was only at about 1/3 throttle when I did it. It is funny now but before I found that none were hurt I was really feeling bad about killing all of my grandmothers cats kittens.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

YEP

edpayattention.jpg