Twice a week cuttings only?!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pilotcoplawnboy, Mar 20, 2002.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

My neighbor wants me to get his yard established and when it gets growing he only wants me to cut it every other week. Any of you guys do that. I know if the grass gets high it will put a train on my mower and to me it's not worth it. Anyone else have the same issue with customers??:cool:
  2. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Not me way to much work. Of course in August when the grass is not growing I don"t have a problem with every other week.
  3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him that you will prpbably cut his lawn about 22 times this season. When it is raining it will be every week and as it slows down you MAY be able to let it go for 2wks. Sell him on the season not the interval of cuts. Your area may be higher or lower in # of cuts.
  4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Give the man what he wants. Either set the mower way up or charge him extra to cover ware and tear.
  5. RoyaleRcr

RoyaleRcr LawnSite Member

Try to get control of his fertilizing. You probably know what happens when McPoison lawn dumps a ton of liquid cow p_ _s
    on lawns in May. You will regret taking this work. I also never do work for neighbors, especially in a situation like this. Remember, everybody in the neighborhood will see your work, and if this looks bad, you look bad. Just my opinion.
  6. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I push for weekly cuttng only. If you're running a business, and you need to make a certain amount of
    $$ per week, you should pursue weekly accounts. I'm thinking of telling customers that if we show up to their lawn in July/August and it definitely doesn't need cutting, we are going to spend an equal amount of time doing something else there - ie. weeding, re-eding etc. The only way I would accept bi-weekly accounts is if I charged extra AND had other bi-weekly accounts to offset it, so that I'm mowing roughly the same number of lawns every week. I've often thought that if you had two routes of biweekly lawns, you might be able to do very well, because you'd be mowing a full route every week.
  7. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

After I thought about it I do have 1 Yard I cut every other week. She is a friend of my wife who has asthma. She can't afford to pay me weekly so she cuts on the week I don't. Thus it gets cut every week.
  8. GrassCtr

GrassCtr LawnSite Member
    from south

twice a week or every two weeks, you said both? no way i would, if you do tell him if you have to mow it twice during that one visit then he pays double. another good thought is to not do work for any neighbors or friends. the take advantage and expect more from you, i have a neighbor that still ows me 60 from last october.
  9. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Too many of them and your going to create a staffing issue.
  10. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I did a neighbors lawn last year. it sucked. The last thing I want to do when I get home is cut another lawn- I'm lucky if I cut mine every three weeks. You might want to consider this before you spend a sunday afternoon feeling obligated to cut his lawn after you've been behind because it rained 4 days that week.