1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Twice the money for half the work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Sep 29, 2004.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

OK for all the guys that mow I have an Idea but not sure how to "invent" it, so I'll throw the idea out and maybe someone will get rich! lol

You mow for 2 reasons to keep the grass short and to put down stripes so if you could do half the work and still get paid the same its would increase your profits by 50%. Now the idea why not use a growth retardent on the lawns and invent someway of lightly painting a mist over the strip that was just mowed. It would last a couple of weeks or more and you could just charge the customer to keep the lawn at so&so length. What do you think? give me some feed back on the idea.

2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Great idea, But the cost of the growth retardant would cut into your 50% savings... correct?
  3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

most big companys do this already to the areas that have to be weedeated and slopes!

not very cost effective for the big wideopen areas!
  4. thor

thor LawnSite Member

is the name of your company FOUR -CUT-CORNERS ...just kiddin .......i dont have any exp. w/ growth regulater for lawns but use it often to cut down on pruning of tall and diffucult shrubs.....a real time saver.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Have you priced growth retardant? That stuff makes roundup look like tap water, price wise.

You need a license, you need to educate the client. We are talking about the same people that water everyday at noon and demand to have their grass cut 1-2 inches below proper height.

I thought about it too, but think it would be worse than mowing. Besides I already have that every winter. EOW mowing but same price as the rest of the year.
  6. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

great Idea for commercial!!!
    what about the kids that play in the grass and eat the grass sometime's
    and the customer calls and say's "my kids a midget" the grass doesn't grow, nor does little Johnny! LOL
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

A few of the members on this site use growth regulators and also have their contracts set up with yearly fees. This means you are paid for your service and not for the number of cuts.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hey I'm only tossing out an IDEA it may need to be tweaked or it may not work at all but I had 262 members view it to see what I was talking about. All great prodjects start with an idea and then you build from there.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Already use growth regulator on high end turf. The stripes I could care less about.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I used Primo Maxx this spring on some areas at the school district that I mow, under trees, along fencelines, etc., to cut down on the amount of trimming.

The price was $400 / gallon, which you mixed at a rate of 1 oz / 1000 sqft. OR you could mix at 2 oz / 1000 sqft if slight discoloring of the grass wasn't a concern.

I ended up covering about 50Ksqft with my gallon so that would be not be very cost effective IF you were doing residentials @ $25-35 / week, since it slows the grass down to about a 1/3, meaning you'll have to mow it again in about 3-4 weeks.

Now, not to be rude to Avery, but on a different post he's talking about dumping the maintenance part of his business anyways, so if he's already using the regulator on his high end turf, and it's not helping his bottom line enough to where he'd keep the maintenance part of his biz, then it's probably not profitable, other than to cut down on your actual hours worked.