Twist- n- Edge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by macaw, Jan 12, 2004.

1. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Poulan Twist-n- Edge weedeaters They do
    a good job the only thing is the motor just Don't hold up.
    Is there any other brand out there that dose the same thing.
    Once I cut a edge with a edger I can maintane that for up to 2
    years with the Twist-n- Edge it so easy you don't have to flip the trimmer around Just pull a tab and turn the shaft hit the tab and it flips back for trimming. They only cost around $80.00 At Wal-Mart

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Buy a commercial trimmer, and then just turn it sideways to edge. It can't be any harder then the "twist-n-edge".

3. edgit

edgit LawnSite Member
    from Kentucy

Macaw- Go to edgit.com and download our Following the Edge manicuring system, you'll need it when you purchace a commercial trimmer (with a straight shaft). The string rotates the other direction, which will make you walk backwards when you trim. Train yourself to use the striaght shaft trimmer LEFT-HANDED.

4. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

You still have to turn the trimmer sideways the twist-n-edge
    is alot easyer to use

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen the benefit of using a weedeater to edge. Stick edger does a much nicer job and is 10x quicker.

6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

....and you don't eat half as much dirt.

7. edgit

edgit LawnSite Member
    from Kentucy

Sorry, but you're wrong about edging faster with a stick edger. Once an edge is established (remember no one makes a living doing first time edgings) I can maintain an edge at least as fast as you can, probably even faster. But the real advantage is that 1) I don't have to go back to the truck to get the edger after trimming, 2) I do the trimming and edging together as one process. There is absolutely no way you can trim and edge as fast as I can with the Edgit on a trimmer. And I think the trimmer with an Edgit produces better, more distinctive edges than any edger.

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I got two guys on my maintenance crew that will take your money on that bet. 100% sure of that. I do not have to go back to the truck and get an edger. Mower goes first followed by a guy with a string trimmer, then a guy with a stick edger, and finally a guy with a backpack blower. String trimmer produces a better, more distinct edge than a stick edger with a metal blade! :confused: How does a small flexible line produce a better edge than a flat piece of metal?? I see lots of properties where the LCO uses trimmers to edge. No where near as nice as job as we do with edgers. But whatever works for you man. ;)

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

We have some commercial property with 500 - 600 feet of curbline. The stick edger is much quicker, leaves a sharper edge and is easier on the back. IMO

10. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have been pondering the edgit for a while now, I can see the advantage to the system. I dont think it replaces the stick edger but I think it would work well. I would like to try one out.
    I wish there was a way to demo one, My dealer says he has used one and it suprised him...but he wont carry them(he likes to sell edgers).