Two Axles or One?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grasssin, Feb 20, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I am about to get a 6x12 trailer, although I dont need all the space right now I know I will "grow" into it. So my question is should I get a single axle or a doulble axle trailer? Is it worth the extra $350 dollars for it?

Right now I am also going to have a Exmark 48" turf tracer and 21" Toro on there. Eventually will get a Z to go along with the turf tracer. The only other uses I will use it for is to haul around my 4 wheelers... Thanks for the help

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

single with brakes.

3. get the double axle, for the extra weight later and I personally think a two axle trailer pulls a lot smoother.

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Double axles definately. Not only do they carry a load better they are a lot easier to back up.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

And go through tires a LOT faster. I have a 6.5' x 12' single axle and love it. Backs up fine.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Can you maneuver a (empty) tandem axle trailer by hand? i can with my single. tires last forever, lighter weight, pulls great, holds as much as i can fit on the trailer without overloading it. Hauls 3-3.5 yds of mulch (1' sideboards) heaped up on it no problem. Only thing I would change about mine if the same size is put brakes on it.

7. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, actually I can but why would I want to. Thats what my 4 wheeler is for.:D

8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Double axle with out a doubt. Your gonna think I'm crazy but if you plan to expand or go full time and if your truck will pull it go for even a bigger trailer then the 12 foot! You will never regret having a bigger trailer.

9. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

As usual everyone is split down the middle on the issue

:)

Keep the comments coming,

10. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Double axles will be more stable with a load & will pull much smoother.