Two cycle oil. A really crazy alternative.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Dec 30, 2007.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a tree guy that uses SAE 30w motor oil as mix in his chain saws. You read that right. I don't advocate this nor would I use this. Has anyone else heard of this. He's a bit eccentric. I have to admit his saws are older so they must be lasting. When I said he should'nt do it he said he'll switch to synthetic motor oil just for me:confused:.

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

You can do it, but actual motor oil like that has all kinds of additives in it to make it not burn, as opposed to 2 stroke oil, which has many additives to help it burn. 10/30, 10/40, 30 wt, 20/50, 15/40 will all burn. But they leave all kinds of deposits behind too. 2 stroke oil is supposed to burn and leave minimal deposits.

3. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure he's not just using 30w as a bar oil?

4. HenryB

No mixed with gas.

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people never learn...

6. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Is he advertising his tree cutting as a insectide as well? I can only imagine the smoke rolling from his exhaust. I really doubt the saws run real well.

7. HenryB

With all the two cycle oil posts lately this guy came to mind. His saws are used daily I don't get it:dizzy:. Using cheap Walmart oil is one thing I'd try, but not motor oil. Funny thing is the guys smart originally an engineer in his home country (germany).
    PS thanks for the info on amsoil.:waving:

8. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

It'll work fine. He'll just spend alot of time cleaning out exhaust ports and such. Actual 2 stroke oil is better stuff.

9. regl

regl LawnSite Member

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There's nothing new about using regular motor oil. Back in the day (pre 70's) that was pretty much all there was. I used it in an outboard once when I ran out of 2 stroke oil.