two dead this month

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I know I am probably just getting ahead of the law of averages, but I had 2 customers die this month. Of Course NOT 2 PITA's.

One was my favorite client (as well as my first client). Never complained, always had her check in on time, let me do what needed to be done to make her lawn look better. It started as brambles and now looks decent almost a year later. Pesky Hurricanes. She was 75 and cancer got her.

The other was a 40 year old guy. Had knee surgery to repair a torn tendon. Got the ok to go back to work, did so for a day then didn't show back up for the next 2 days. Found dead in his home. So far no known cause. His mom calling me and telling me he was dead then assuring me that I would get paid was a little too much.

Pay me after you get everything else in order. What is $90 versus losing your son.

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

that sucks. Are you still taking care of the property?

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Always seems like the PITAs always live forever. Sorry to hear you lost two good people.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one customer pass away this month, I was invited to her memorial and her relatives said she wanted me to keep working until they sell the house. They also mentioned that they were throwing her ashes in the backyard.

5. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I had one die as well. Good friend of mine used to stop in and see her every week. 93 yrs old and lived alone until she went into the hospital and died a few days later. Gonna miss her but it was her time.

6. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

Sorry for you losses. I often wonder about that too, as the majority of my clients are pretty old, and I am pretty close to them. Again sorry for your losses.
    Aaron

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

She musta really liked your work. . . :drinkup:

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of clients this week. The 40 y/o guy probably threw a blood clot from the knee surgery, tough break.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The older lady willed the house to her daughter. I know her daughter for years, so she is keeping me on. Not that I am happy about getting more business this way, but she will probably have me doing some install work and go to full service.

Yeah the younger guy probably threw a blood clot. That is the only thing I can think of. I am still doing the house for now. They are trying to decide if they are going to sell or rent. If they decide to sell, I may buy it as a fixer upper investment. Gotta do something in the slow season to keep out of trouble.

I felt bad about missing the guys funeral service, but they had it when I had a large clean up job lined up (pre-paid).

10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear this. I'm having a few customers getting older, moving into nursing homes yet still own a home and what not. Also one that has luckemia and getting cut off of chemo. Just wondering, did you go to the funerals? Do you other guys go to clients memorial serivices.