Two Different Companies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Salmon, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Big Salmon

Big Salmon LawnSite Member

Have any of you thought about, or have started two different lawn care companies in your area? I have been thinking about it. Both companies would offer the same general prices and so on....Just cornering the market a bit more. Ant thoughts or is this plain stupid?:hammerhead:

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have two. One is maintenance and one is squirt. I have another friend here that does the same thing and his squirt company has almost gotten as big as his mowing company and most people have no idea he owns them both.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you mean like Ford, Linclon, Mercury, or Chrystler, Plymoth and Dodge, or chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, GMC and Cadilac...

I think you lend youself to getting confused, how to answer the phone, depositing checks into the wrong account, having to file taxes under two different company names, truck lettering, encounters with you clients who have hired you under teh XYZ name, while youre wearing ABC's uniform...diffente business cards, different invoices.....

I think it would be hassle...

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we have enough going on with just one let alone 2:dancing:

5. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Not a bad idea, but with lawn companies you can only use one Charter per business. (spraying)

6. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

What are the advantages of separating the two (maintenance and squirt) companies? Why not have the same company offer both services?:confused:

7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

One guy here has a lawn company, an irrigation company, a fert company, a landscape company, a Bed & Breakfast, a tour bus company and a company to bring Hispanics in on the H2B program. Each one of these are separe companies. I think he actually baught out other companies and just keeps there names, but they are all separate companies.

8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Was he the one that bought a company that buys companies?:dancing:

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My partner and I have 4 companies operating as DBA's, under our limited partnership. We have 3 lawn maintenance companies, plus, our retail store selling lawn equipment. It can get a little confusing, but for our needs, it works quite well.

10. Big Salmon

Big Salmon LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the great replies. keep em comin and great luck this season