Two man auger or one man auger??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnworks, May 27, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have about 60 3-gallon plants and about 8 7-gallon plants to install. Would you use a 2-man or a one man auger? What size bit for a 7 gallon?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'd use a one man auger........

[​IMG]

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Just be careful of glazing if using an auger.

4. Lawnworks

from usa

yeah I am definately getting an auger for my asv... cash flow ain' that great right now though. what it is glazing?

5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

auger for a 3 gallon plant? Thats only a 10" wide container!!!!

using a tracked ASV for bush installations?

You are going to spend more time transporting , setting up, and cleanup than any time saved over a shovel.

If the conditions are so bad you need an auger, what makes you think the plant will survive?

6. Lawnworks

from usa

I think an auger is the most efficient way to dig 65 holes in 8 hours w/ 3 guys. Transporting, set-up and clean-up??? wtf are you talking about. A handheld auger is no more trouble than a shovel minus the backbreaking labor. I think it will be quicker.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why would anyone want to do the manual labor involved in any project when a mechanical means is available to make the job easier :dizzy:

8. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

The glazing is in reference to a clay soil and how it performs when an auger is used. The sides of the hole will actually becomes smooth and glassy. This makes the sides of the hole even more in penetrable for a plants root system and allows for even stricter migration of water in an already poor environment. To remedy this, ample peat moss and actually taking a shovel and breaking the sides of the hole up is needed. In my area, this is an issue, but does not deter auger use. Augers are quick and efficient on high volume installations.

I would use a 2 man auger in your case.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

60 three gallon pots, that's alot of digging with a shovel. About 90 minutes with an auger.

10. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Again thats only 3-holes per hour, per man, for your 3-man crew.......Where'd you get these guys anyway?......"K-Mart"......With the help of a few of my very "Beautiful Nieces" [ no Butchs or Dikes], they'd be able to avg 5-7 holes per hour and they'd have your job done in an easy 5 hrs tops!!!!!!!......Then again I pay them what they are worth....."Better get that Auger" :)