1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Two More MP-Rotator Renovations

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 8, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Went out on a couple of calls at a site where PGJs were either cut off by the mowers or had stopped rotating. Decided to just convert both zones to MP-Rotators instead of staying with the PGJs.

First three pics are Leo and Louie doing their 15 head zone. Last two pics are of the 7 head zone I worked on at the same time.

Veva Blunt Zone D-1 Renovation 8-7-07 IV-01.jpg

Veva Blunt Zone D-1 Renovation 8-7-07 IV-02.jpg

Veva Blunt Zone D-1 Renovation 8-7-07 IV-03.jpg

Veva Blunt Zone D-3 Renovation 8-7-07 IV-01.jpg

Veva Blunt Zone D-3 Renovation 8-7-07 IV-02.jpg
  2. Those are on Hunter Is right? Just as a favor to me buy one RB prs and compare to the Hunter and give me your thoughts. Also try without prs and give me your thoughts.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Nice pics, Hayes..what kind of pressure are those MPs running? They look
  4. PurpHaze

Well, I'd have to look it up again but they're on Hunter I-Sprays which keep them around 30 PSI.
  5. PurpHaze

Hunter INST-04-CV bodies.

Maybe in winter... IF I'm still around. Too damn busy right now to be experimenting with a sprinkler body we don't use anywhere in the district.
  6. I think this is an issue that is going to have to be dealt with. I would expect to see popups with pressure regulation in the 45-55 range exclusively for the MPs coming from Hunter in the next year or two. No inside info just an opinion. I think the Hunters knock the pressure down more than the RBs and do it at higher pressures as well.
  7. PurpHaze

We've now used the MPRs on both Toro 570-PRX and Hunter I-Spray bodies with equally good results. Their pressure regulators keep the pressure at about the same PSI and I really can't tell the difference in performance between them. We're in the process of switching to sole use of the Hunter I-Sprays for use with MPRs, sprays and specialty nozzles such as bubblers and micro-sprays.

The change was brought about because of the crappy flush caps of the 570s always breaking. We returned over $300 worth of Toro 4"/6" spray bodies for credit through Ewing and used that towards I-Sprays also. So far, we've used about four cases of the 4"/6" I-Sprays and had exactly ONE flush cap come off. Since it came off whole instead of breaking like the 570 flush caps it was easily replaced onto the pop-up riser with no problems.

Yesterday we cleared our inventory of Hunter PGJ sprinklers and returned them for about $400 credit through our other supplier. We will get the jump on things and discontinue their use. Any PGJ we come into contact with will be replaced with the I-Spray/MPR combination even if it means changing out an entire zone. We have no PGJs in any zones where the overall throw would be greater than 30' because any area wider than 30' has Hunter I-20s in it until it reaches the necessity of installing I-25s or I-40s.
  8. PurpHaze

Contact Hunter and make the suggestion that an MPR "body" be made that could have different pressure ratings. However this might take the versitility out of the MPRs since they'll fit any standard spray body pop-up riser.
  9. When I have time this winter I may do some flow readings. When you set the clock what precipitation rate are you using with MPs at 30psi?
  10. PurpHaze

In all honesty... I don't have the time nor patience to set a zone's watering time by precipitation rate. I go off similar experience with similar zones on other sites and then adjust depending on soil and other factors such as the number of watering days, shade, etc. Our MPR zones are set to run right now in middle of summer between 30 and 45 minutes depending on these variables... main one being number of watering days we can get in during the week.

With 110+ controllers in the district... if they want zones set using precipitation rates then they can install a central control system and we'll start using ET and other factors to adjust things. :)