Two questions Noise and deck cleaning

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MikeNSX, May 10, 2004.

1. MikeNSX

MikeNSX LawnSite Member

I have a LaserZ

Is it normal to hear hydro "whine" when moving the levers? Once the speed is set, there is no noise, only when speeding up or slowing down. Is this normal, or is it a sign of air in the hydro system, or something worse?

Do you scrape the deck clean after each mowing?

Thanks

MikeC

LaserZ 25HP 60" Ultra

2. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

My 60 Lazer Z does have a slight hydro sound when excelerating but its nothing compared to the sound you get during the intial run after changing the hydro oil.
    On deck scraping, I scrape mine first thing every mournig and sometimes during the day if the grass is wet and sticking a 3 inch wide putty knife works well for me

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

What he said...............Jackman is correct. You will hear a slight whine on just about every unit. You hear it more on some models than others just because some engines are quieter than others. Unless the whine gets worse or you notice a change in the way the hydros respond I wouldn't worry about it. Severe or excessive whine in a hydro system is most often air. A slight whine such as you are describing is probably nothing more than thousands tiny little high pressure pulses of fluid running through the system. This is normal.

As far as scraping is concerned I believe this will be dictated by the conditions. Some of the conditions are how much grass is sticking to the deck due to moisture. Other conditions would include the type of grass as well as the season. In some regions the grass may be wet enough and lush enough at certain times of the season that scraping may be required during the cutting of a large lawn. In some of the warmer climates some commercial cutters will scrape after each lawn to prevent the spread of insects, weeds or disease. You might be surprised what you are carrying from one property to another from time to time.

Thanks,

Terry