1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Two Questions:

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BVLAWNCARE, Sep 18, 2004.

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Hey guys I just have a quick question. I was wondering what you think is the best way to handle customers that are trying to renegociate on a bid? (i.e. you bid them $300 for a job and they say "Can you go lower to about $100?) That happend to me and i made the mistake of going with the 100 instead of the 300 and now im losing money on the job.

Question 2)
    I was wondering what a good fall rate would be (How much extra should I charge to sweep the leaves and blow the leaves from tress, and bushes)

Thanks for the help guys!
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

#1- The price is the price, take it or leave it. Negotiate services, not price. Take the hit on this one, and move on and know better for future purposes.

#2- It would be best to do that on T&M if possible. There's too many variables on fall clean-ups, if the leaves are wet, that adds a lot of time. If they are dry, there's still a lot of bulk... Our clean-ups are built into our annual maintenance program, and usually we wait until December to do ours. That way 99% of the leaves are down. That saves time in the spring too...

I appreciate the tip, Dan thank you for your time

I appreciate the tip, Dan thank you for your time.
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I have run into this a few times and depending on what’s going on in my life I have sometimes allowed them to get their way and always regretted it. I have reached the point now that if you try to Jew me down on my prices I simply walk away. #1 I don't need the work that bad. #2 if they are complaining before you even take the job what makes you think they won't when you finish the job my experience is once a complainer always a complainer. On larger jobs I try to trim off services to make their budget but on smaller ones say 200 or less I am not making any money to begin with. So when we have a deal and then they call to either complain about when we will be there or they have thought it over and want to cut the price and change the job some more. They are gone right there its that quick I went to meet them once on my time for a job that is not worth doing I sure as hell am not coming back out for another look.
  6. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

always stick to your guns and on fall cleanups bid by the hour plus disopsal...you cant lose that way.

7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow you lowered your bid of $300 to $100? You must have really needed the work or something. I say the best way is to stick to your guns. Know your margins is another tip, know how much money you are making so you can make informed decisions and informed estimates.

yes sir that is correct. I am only 16 and i definetly learned my lesson on this job and unfortunatly i am loosing a lot of money because of the dumping fee. Its $50/ton and i dropped 2.5 tons so im screwed but live and learn right!
    thanks for the replys