1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

two speed ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Imow4u2, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering about the probability of a two speed ZTR.. I assume it would be set-up like the two speed skid steers. Then you would have the best of both worlds, low speed torque and high speed for transport or flat areas.. I really think my super Z would benefit from a set-up like this, would make it so much better in the hills. I know it would cost more and I'm sure there's a few of you that will see it as a waste but I would pay 1500 to 2000 more for this option if it became available.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know but my Z already cuts as fast as I want to push it, which is to say faster than I can cut, it's nice to have the extra when I'm squeezed for time but much past 6-8mph no mower does a good job. They just don't, the mower bounces and shakes so hard the float deck literally gets to floating and now the blades and the whole affair stay airborne and it skips grass left and right.

They need to make a mower that stays put, there's already a 25mph Z out there but it's a 48" fixed deck and I'm not so sure I'd want to try it... That has got to be hard on a body, but I can't imagine making a mistake and sliding into something at that speed either.

All it takes is one time, I am still not sure how or why it happens, but I do know there have been a time or two when I went to slow down to a stop and the Z seemed to keep going... Almost like it was still picking up speed, not sure if a tire was slipping or if I wasn't pulling back right, it all happens so dang fast but I done smacked a tree or two, when it doesn't seem to want to stop...

Beyond that, 12-13 mph is more than fast enough for transport, as for mowing the top speed of my machine basically makes it an unlimited speed cutter, it cuts as fast as I can do it reasonably with room to spare in case I get caught short on time.

Unless you were planning on driving it some distances...
  3. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree topsites Ive read some other posts about some nimrod wanting to go 30 mph I mean gimme a break your just asking to get hurt
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I sugested this to the Hustler reps in 2002 when I had hydro problems on my first Hustler Z. Never heard any more about it other than they came out with the ATZ mower with different hyrdos for hills.
  5. Imow4u2

I think we took off in the wrong direction here.. I should have posted some numbers and a hydraulic Schematic. Picture my Super Z with a two speed option.. 15.567 m.p.h. in "high" and a top speed of 7.894 m.p.h. in "low." I feel this would increase manuverability on slopes and would make the machine easier to control in some of the cemeteries we cut.. I have no desire or use for a 15+ machine.. I have a trailer and a nice P/U for Job2Job. If this is a bone head idea I wont feel bad it's not my first..
  6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

You have Super Z and a Regular Z. Do you like one better? Any differences besides ground speed? In a way you have the two speeds already just not in one machine.:laugh:
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No that makes sense, an 8-9mph limit for cutting would be easier to judge and limits your top speed in the rough while it gives you some extra for transport and here I could go for 16-18mph high... More so because I like to cut with the chute a certain way and sometimes when I cut near the road I have to cut one long stretch all in one direction then ride back empty and that does seem to take forever.

It's not so bad in residentials, even there I prefer not to spray grass all over the road, but I absolutely can NOT ride a mower chute out along a busy 45mph highway, that's just asking for it some kind of way. So then I gotta ride back all the way on no cut mode... The only reason I like to add 1-2 mph on top is so I have it when pressed for time, normally I wouldn't use it but one thing I do dislike is getting caught on that 6-7mph Wb short on time there's nothing doing but ride it out and it just drags on and on, so there is a reason for the madness, within limits.

Might even add a safety to where blades and 2nd won't engage together.
    Yeah I think that would fly, I would be all for it.
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I think a High and Low range would be a great feature!
  9. Imow4u2

If I could get the E.F.I. on the H-Z I would probably sacrafice the speed for the power in the hills and the low speed manuvering..

Does anyone know how the two speed on skid steers works?? I dont think it's a gear box because the ones I've operated shift on the fly with no grinding.. It has to be something with the hydraulic flow.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It would likely be different pumps. Two different displacement pumps in one housing.

I think there is room for improvement with regard to pump/motor compatibility. With todays higher horsepower engines, I think 21cc pumps would be OK, they just need to make a wheel motor with more torque.

Personally I feel the SuperZ is fine for hills, we just need more power so that the pumps don't drag down the RPM's as much.