1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Two Stroke Oil Ratio Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JMLandscaping, Jun 18, 2009.

1. JMLandscaping

JMLandscaping LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I usually run all Shindaiwa handhelds and like pretty much all new equipment runs 50:1 mix. My neighbor recently passed away and his wife gave me a lot of his old tools. I acquired a Makita 125 string trimmer. It is in great shape and works great so I have been using it mostly for my lawn accounts.

When I first got it I filled it up with my usual 50:1 mix and it worked fine then my father noticed that it said 25:1 on the cap!! So I have been running 25:1 and it is working fine but I am using 5oz per gallon of gasoline! Does anybody have a 25:1 ratio machine? And is it OK to run these machines with a lesser oil ratio with todays more advanced oils?

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

2. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd run it at 25:1. Actually I'd get rid of it as I wouldn't want 2 cans of premix laying around. Too easy to grab the wrong one.

Reality is that it'd likely run fine at 50:1 with today's modern oils.

3. JMLandscaping

JMLandscaping LawnSite Member

Yeah I hear you, although now I keep the shindy for brush cutting and the makita for trimming intsead of having to change the heads on the shindy all the time.