Two things that frustrate me driving the rig...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Nov 17, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's two of my latest pet peeves:

1) The driver behind me who just can NOT wait another minute and has to break their neck to PASS me JUST to pull back in front of me to make a last-second turn. That, and the drivers who, as I'm coasting towards a red light, firmly accelerate past me at 45mph or whatever speed limit just so they can GET to the red light first (and of course, to stop) ... Meanwhile, had they coasted, they might've avoided stopping...
    2) The SAME driver behind me who, when I need to change lanes and have had my turn signal ON for 20-30 seconds and am waiting for the last car to get past, is either blind or stupid and just HAS to pull out into the other lane as the last car passes so HE can get PAST me while keeping me from changing lanes where had he just WAITED another SECOND... (this one really gets me - especially when I NEED to get over, thou I must admit I like the blare of the HORNS on that d-250).

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going to prescribe you 10mg of lexapro. Take once a day wait a month and you'll be numb from these feelings.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I hate people that pull out in front of me when I am going 55 to 58mph, and then they go 20mph. I get right up on their bumper as I am slamming my brakes to let them know, "If I just didn't stop, you would have been sandwiched, and I would have collected a nice settlement from you."

4. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite is driving down Main st. and the people driving in the other direction will actually move over the double yellow to avoid a parked car with no one in it. What's the rationale hear? Oh look, a parked car, I better veer into oncoming traffic.

5. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

When you are going to make a right hand turn and you clearly have your signal on, so you swing it a little wide and some jerk has to come up along the right hand side of you and try to make the turn first. Its happend to me twice so far this season. Or the people that ride your A$$ even if your doing the speed limit or tailgate cause you dont accelorate away fast enough from a stop, cause they dont understand how a loaded trailer slows you down and punching it only wastes gas.:realmad: :realmad: I think the worst are the soccer mom's in thier big SUV's, they think they own the road, usually on the phone, putting make up on, yellin at thier kids and speeding all at the same time. Ive also come to notice, not to sound prejudice or anything, but the people in our society who hold the paperpusher, 9-5 jobs that commute tend to be a lot worse at driving then anyone in the blue colar level. Ya really got look in your mirrors constantly and be aware of your surroundings. People just dont have a clue on the road these days. ;)

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've been pulling some type of trailer (lawncare, boat, camper) for the last 16years and I have been in a lot of scarey situations. People just don't realize that you can't stop or accelerate as fast as a regular car can.

I've been teaching my 15 year old step son how to drive and I am constantly telling him that you have to watch all the other drivers around you because they can do some stupid things!

My favorite is when someone pulls out right in front of you while you are doing 55-60 mph and then they only go 18 mph.

7. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thats why i have said for years . Regular car and truck/suv drivers need to be held at the same standards , as of us who have a CDL, They need to give the same test that they do for the big rig's , 85% of these morons could not pass the written part let alone the driving part. My step daughter will be given a CDL style road test way b4 she goes for her test for her drivers licence, if she can pass a CDL style test 4 times by me , then she will be a safe driver and pass the stupid drive around the block and park test given by the WV State police , Please a 4 year old could pass that on a riding mower. .

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My biggest peeve is the ones who just have to get around you even though you are going at least the speed limit. I think some people believe if you are pulling a trailer you are not doing the speed limit and they must pass you, even if it means putting others at risk:dizzy: .

9. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

You all really need to considering an air horn. Yes, people still do stupid things, but if you're paying attention most of the times you can avoid a wreck. The look on the idiots' faces when they think they're about to get smacked by a big rig is just priceless. :D

I also have heavy bumpers, front and rear, on my truck. :cool:

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

My driving techniques
    #1 turn signals are not a request asking to merge into traffic, they are a 3 second warning that I'm coming over.
    #2 If its bumper to bumper traffic and you need to change lanes wait till the expensive BMW or Cadillac to be at your rear bumper before you turn the wheel- they don't want that expensive ride wrinkled
    #3 never tail gate a beater or you will be buying someone a new set of wheels
    #4 never tailgate me or you will be buying me a new set of wheels and a paid vacation :D