1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Two tone grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Absolute Curb Appeal, May 8, 2005.

1. Absolute Curb Appeal

Absolute Curb Appeal LawnSite Member

Last year I patched some areas of my lawn with sod. The sod is a much darker green then the rest of my lawn and looks like hell. Any suggestions on how to make the rest of the grass match the dark green? The lawn doesn't lack N, I've put on about 3.5 #/1000 for the last few years. Will Iron help? PLEASE HELP
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

What is the predominat type of grass in your yard? What type of grass sod did you use to patch it up? To me it sounds like you got kyb sod to patch a perennial rye yard, or something along those lines.
  3. Absolute Curb Appeal

Absolute Curb Appeal LawnSite Member

The yard is primarily kbg and so is the sod. Is there that much different in color from "variety" to variety of kbg?
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e seen this happen... half of the lawn had to be re-graded due to street improvements, they replaced it with sod. Original part is fescue with a little bermuda in it and the new sod is also fescue with some kbg. Sod was darker green for about 2 years and really looked funny. The newer grass varities just used nitrogen better and was darler in color than the old stuff I'm guessing. However, like I said it seems to have evened out the past couple years. I don't do the fert apps but I wonder if the guy that does maybe gave the older turf an extra dose of fert to even it out and now it stays greener since it has more N in the soil.
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Start aerating and overseeding with a good dark KBG. It will take a while but will look good down the road. Start this summer (late) and give it time to grow before winter. Midnight KBG make a nice looking dark green lawn.