1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

two way radios

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 2 clowns mowing, Aug 10, 2007.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

what do you people use to talk to each truck crews. nextel is so expensive and i was wondering if some used a cheap two way radio set up
  2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have thought about that but those frequencies can be listened to by the public if they find them so your private info will be broadcast. U.S. Cellular and a few others have mobil to mobil calls for free anytime of the day. Something to check into.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

One of the problems with Nextel Walkie Talkie is that it seems to be badly affected by buildings. We signed up with Nextel on a biz essentials plan, but I've cancelled it only 8 days in because I kept having to use the air time minutes to call instead of walkie talkie. We are likely going to go with AT&T under a residential family talk plan with 3 lines which is going to come out to like 69.98 before taxes and stuff. That's with 550 anytime minutes, roll over and unlimited Mobile to Mobile (within AT&T). We likely will not be using it too much, so we should be able to get by with that nicely. Sprint/Nextel wants $5/mnth each line for unlimited Mobile to Mobile... it's not worth it.

They really started out on my bad side though. Before the phones were even delivered, they were charging us for shipping and activation which was supposed to be free because we ordered online. One girl even had the gall to ask me if I was sure I placed the order online and didn't go into a store :dizzy: . I about told her to recall the damn order and cancel it right there before we even had the phones in hand.
  4. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I absolutely HATE ATT!! The only reason I have them is because they bought Cingular, which was a good company. Now that ATT has the service, my connection is terrible (don't understand that with the same towers I would assume), customer service is truly lousy, well... I could go on and on all day!
  5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have PTT Cell with US Cellular. They use their own, as well as Verizon towers.

You need both Cell Phones and Radios.

Cell-Range, and For Truck to Truck, Office to Truck, Boss to Foreman, etc. The problem is that you MUST have tower contact for them to work, just as with the phone portion.

Radio - Short distance, and no need for towers, unless you have GRMS with Tower relay capabilities, But you still do not need the tower for short range.
    Down Fall - Range.

6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Verizon family plan with 3 phones. Unlimited use between the phones and any other Verizon phone, plus free nights & wknds. The plan cost about $79. + tax a month. We had Cingular but they have horrible customer service, imo. :cry: I guess that's why they changed their name to ATT. Do a search for "Cingular Sucks" and be enlightened. :)
  7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Verizon has free verizon cell to cell, nights, and weekends.
  8. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

Smoke Signals.
  9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We use i560 Nextel two-way radio/cell phone units. Never a prob getting through to anybody.