Two weeks later.... NOT GOOD....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 6, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

1 new spreader + 2 weeks later = NOT GOOD!

In all my years, I have never, not even once, had fert streaks.
    But two weeks after the apps, I have two-tone turf.

Needless to say that POS is going back. Here I thought it was doing good, and it does appear to spread well, but evidently this thing couldn't spread a friggin cold. The pattern is not as even as it would seem. I have nice straight dark narrow lines.

HOW EMBARASSING!

So anyways, now I have to try to get something else and make some attempt to correct what I have going on. So I'm back to square one, plus I have issues to resolve quick with the lawns.

Now, trouble is, I will NOT be getting a replacement Scotts/Anderson Professional.... no freakin way will I be giving $579.94 out the door for the pusher. Yeah, it's a good spreader, but that price is taking it a bit far I think...

But this poses a problem. Nobody around here really has the spreaders people here say are also good. I mean for instance I saw a Spyker spreader for the first time while using a rain day on friday to browse around. But it's like the tiny ones... like the size that might hold one of those 5K bags. So IF a local dealer happens to have something decent, it is either the smallest of the line or like a pull behind that I cannot use because of the ZTR's.

So other than the piece of crap I just returned, I might could get something like an Agri-Fab or one of the cheaper Earthway spreaders. (Most of what I see for sale and out in the field are Agri-Fab) But I don't feel I can afford another screwup.

I've read mixed reviews on the Lesco spreaders, which I would consider. But I don't have time to fool with driving down 80 miles to check one out. So what do I do? Try an Agri-Fab or an Earthway... or something else?

Something that will hold a 50 lb bag and do a good job would be sufficient.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

if your talking about Lesco's regular spreaders(the non-ride on ones) , i can say that mine does a very nice job... even patterns and very very easy to handle & push. 80lb capacity too. besides the price tag... i like it a lot.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

lets see some pics of those stripes..... :laugh:

4. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, the pushers or the electric one to go on the Ztwo (leary of that one).

My natural idea would be to go check them out, and I'm guessing I would probably buy one once I did that. But I just literally do not have time to fool around with driving down 80 miles to check them out and haul one 80 miles back.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Only time I've ever had a problem with mine is on a windy or breezy day...

Other than that, all spreaders are 'broken' very soon. They work great for the first 3-4 applications, then everything is a little bit off and it gets worse but at that point you own it and you just keep using it best you can. They actually last many years but it takes some practice and dealing with it for some time, until you really 'pwn' it and you become one with the spreader. I'll have to take a pic of mine someday, you'll laugh but I still use it because it's as good as it gets.

Mickey Mouse POS, I agree, the whole bunch.
    And no, I'm not paying big money for an SS spreader just to watch it do the same thing my plastic one has done... Which is basically the chems eat certain parts alive and once those parts are gone, it is always the same thing, but that's the way it is. If you really look at the thing and study it for some time, you can actually see not only the problem but it didn't take me long to figure out why there exists no solution - Because it's not that the chems and the parts are reacting, it's the grit and the resulting dust that gets in there and acts like a sandpaper, that is the problem. Hence, they all do it to you.

I saw a gas-powered riding unit looked kinda like a Walker mower or a dingo, sorta... That thing looked awful cool and had a sizeable hopper (I'd guess 100+ lbs.) but I don't want to know the price tag.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I did try to take some pics, but I was using a camera phone and it was raining. So they really didn't turn out.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Topsites,

I understand what you are saying to a degree. But I never really had issues with the Scotts professional spreaders over all the years I owned and used them. Yeah, I'm sure they got "off" some. But not enough to ever know during their life. They just died of old age. They never did a lousy app. But I'm not paying that kind of money to replace them (just because the golf courses will) as I feel that is nutz.

This other spreader was new... just a decent looking knock-off POS I guess. Could have been just the one I had, but I didn't feel like chancing it to try another.

Anyways, I have never believed that apps were precision science to the degree some believe it to be. But streaking... well you just can't live with that, or I can't anyways.

So I guess what I am saying is, it doesn't have to be the best spreader money can buy. It doesn't have to be stainless or whatever, nor does it have to be the most durable. I just want one that does a good job and some sort of lifespan to justify the cost.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use this one... http://www.earthway.com/2150.htm

It has worked well so far for about 5 years. The only thing you have to watch for is the shaft from the handle down to the pivot will bend and close the discharge off. I just straighten it back out by hand and it's fine. So far I see no signs of corrosion anywhere on mine.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nice straight ark narrow lines...Sounds like it's spreading to heavy in the center. I WAS thing not enough overlap, bu if they are narrow, that for SURE is too heavy of center. Is it a 3 hole design, or a one hole? 3 hole by FAR is the only way to go for ferts.

10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the home owner didnt do anything after you. That happens more than we think. I see stuff laying around their houses all the time. Maybe they tought they would help you out.