Two wire/ clamp meter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by avernon0112, May 26, 2012.

1. avernon0112

avernon0112 LawnSite Member

I have a RB MDC2 controller that shows a short circuit. I have identified which pair of wires the fault is on. I need to pick up a clamp meter to help with the troubleshooting. What kind of meter do you like?
    This is the first problem I have ran into with the two wire systems. I have read some of threads here and it does not seem like it will be too complicated. If any of you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

for the money vs quality i prefer the armada pro-93 http://armadatech.com/Pro93 i have had good luck with the armada products and their product support :)

4. Mike Leary

rep..............

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

big nose :laugh::laugh::laugh:

tell you the joke later boss :laugh:

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You could score a decent leakage meter on the internet, and spend about a hundred bucks.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

How many times have I told you dad ........_________________REP_________________

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Does it also detect leaking brain matter?

9. Mike Leary

I know, I know, I tried to get back, Loretta, but too late with my crappy internet connection up here in the woods. :cry:

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I had a decoder fail in a short circuit condition before. Keep that in mind as you troubleshoot.
    In addition adding valve solenoids in series with the wire path may allow the controller to come out of short circuit mode, which might allow you to locate the fault easier.
    Was there any additional info in the fault log that might be helpful?