Two wire thread.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

O.k, I've kept up on this since Tucor came out..considered it on many
    systems..decided to take the traditional path..tons of 13 strand..mainline
    stubouts all over..I understand the expansion possibilities w/2 wire..but
    something always bothered me about it.....as much as a geek I am, the
    decoder/encoder/grounding thing (plus lack of locating..remote issues)
    have kept me away..my clients could give a rat..not the point..service IS,
    I still don't feel comfy with two wire....seems like we mite be heading down
    the proverable "garden path" again.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would agree. More stuff to go wrong. Not that it doesn't have worthwhile applications, however I think it needs to mature a bit more before I will buy into it.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm on the fence, having installed two so far and everything go super smooth I am a big fan, but I think the cost of the decoders and such really need to come down. like i said in the other thread it was about $100 more per valve, that's bank on a 18+ zone. as far as trouble shooting, I don't think it'll be too big a deal, I'm actually wondering now how my locator will do finding the path, I think I might actually not have to "plug in" but just turn the system on and follow the path that way. I do that w/ invisible fences all the time, just set it to follow the RF signal on the two wire. I'll try it next time I'm near one of mine and report back, that and Joe one of my asst. designer/ right now irrigation install guy (still haven't gotten a reply from el Capitian) makes real good as builts, hes almost too detailed.
    -just picking on you rotor

4. It will NOT wire track. I asked that question at a seminar. Need to consider adding markers than can be found by a metal detector unless you have Hayes documenting your system layout. The only reason to two wire in my opinion is for expansion capability. I'm glad I will be long gone before two wire servicing will be part of my daily trials.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Joe and I would get along just fine. It's some of the "fine details" such as a gate location or electrical/communication concrete vault that have gotten us out of hot water on many occasions. :)

6. PurpHaze

LOL... I'm not perfect Peter. However... with all the "trench time" I have under my belt I've come to recognize what might be important for future work. With CAD capabilities it's a snap to add or delete details as needed to make someone else's job a little easier in the future.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I agree it has potential, however until they integrate the decoder into the solenoids I will only consider it in special applications.

8. PurpHaze

That would be a tremendous asset.

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

that's a great idea actually... patent it quick they're probably monitoring this site

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: It makes too much sense for it not to be patented.

I think this patent pretty much covers it, at least in raw principle.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6636782.html