Two zones running at once

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Jun 24, 2008.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

New account... zones 4 and 6 are running at the same time... controller checks out good... valve box wiring is good. Somewhere along about a 300' foot run of 18-7 multistrand the yellow and green wires are touching. I used my locator to trace the wires and dug up a few places where I thought they may have been nicked... no luck.
    Whats the easiest way to find the nick?

2. Yiii those are always toughies. If the wire is exposed a fault finder may do it. Progressive 901

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You did do resistance measurements to confirm the wires are touching?

4. irritation

Yes, there is no doubt about it.

5. Wet_Boots

Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if you disconnected the solenoids, and the zone wires from the controller, and did a trace, with the signal connected to the 4 wire, and the 6 wire being grounded. Might you get a null along the shorted run of cable, and a clear signal after you pass the short?

6. Shawn Perkins

Shawn Perkins LawnSite Member

Doubler should work great

7. irritation

Thanks, but no thanks.

8. duwaprod

duwaprod LawnSite Member

One of our Irrigander irrigation expanders would solve the problem if you simply can't find the short circuit. We have had many customers use an Irrigander expander to bypass a broken wire in a cable. The Irrigander expanders allow direct control of each valve so they do not have the limitations of the Doubler.

--Don

9. Progressive 2003 Pulser Ground Fault Locator

10. Wet_Boots

Well, yeah, and any other number of similar rigs, but I wonder what the trace I suggested would reveal.