1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Two ZTR's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Jul 2, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Hey Everyone,

How many ZTR's does everyone have? I only have one, but I'm considering getting another ZTR. Everyone around here has 2 ZTR's and can get done with a job a lot faster than my one ZTR. Would it be wise to go for another ZTR? I'm thinking I could cut my time in half and make more money in half the time it takes with one ZTR. Also, if I go this route I was thinking it would be smarter to go for the bigger lawns with less trimming. It's only a 2 man crew here. What do you all think? Thanks
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

So Get One More Person to Weed wack. (And Get Two Mower's)

img_0429 resized.jpg
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have been on a crew with 2 people and 2 ZTR's before, I have also been on a crew with 2 people, 1 ZTR, 1 W/b, and a crew with 3 people and 2 W/b's. They all have their place. Your job is knowing what kind of lawns you have and what is the ideal size machine for them. Your job is not to go out and buy equipment just to be like the other guys, and then have to switch your business focus just to support the other machine.
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have 3. A Lazer, a Yazoo/Kees and a Grasshopper. The Grasshopper hasn't been used with any regularity in 4 years or so though. I have every intention of getting rid of the Y/K and Grasshopper and putting nice down payment on another Lazer. I figure the second mower needs to be every bit as good as the primary mower.

BTW, I find that two guys mowing bigger lawns, then both operating a piece of two-cycle equipment finish faster than one guy mowing and the other just doing the trimming. Plus the guy that used to be on trimmer patrol in a bigger lawn doesn't get worn out and stays much happier ;)

Even if you don't think you need two ZTR's right now, consider how up the creek you might be if that one goes down for a few days :eek: A second one is a wise investment.
  5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We have 2 ZTRs and 2 WBs. We split the up for each crew, but on days when one crew mows acres they take the 2 ZTRs.

And I agree with Keith, Mowing first is the easiest on both guys.
  6. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Rich's lawn care is right. By going to a hopper bagging machine it opens up many more options for you and can help your business to be more versitile in different cutting conditions. I would go for a Scag cougar but the Walkers are good machines too.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This is true. I went from a 48" gear drive walk-behind to a 48" Walker and cut an average of 33% off each property.

9. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I've got three ZTR's :)

2 toro z-masters which are my main mowers.
    1 Hustler(251K) which i use for a back up or when i'm swamped with work and need another rider(It hasn't been used more then 10-20 hrs in the last 2 yrs)
    One of my toro's is down as of today- Hydro belt broke on it which is an easy fix.

I also have three toro walk behinds

1 hydro
    2 belt drives

And I have 2 Trim mowers

1 lawn boy
    1 toro recycler

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1 Lazer, 1 Gravely, both 60". 1 52" wb for tight spots, dithes, and other misc. stuff if necessary. Works out great for us, but there are so many variables. Sometimes we both cut right up to the end together, and sometimes, I may break off a little early while the other mower continues to run. All depends on the layout, and amount of each to be done.