TX Background check

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterlogged, Oct 6, 2012.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

CA. requires disclosure of bankruptcy and felony convictions.

This may be being blown out of proportion for the time being. Texas is the state of water cops and informents though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I imagine that it is a liability concern for the TCEQ. I.E. A licensed HVAC contractor (that has two prior molestation charges) goes into a house and does some A/C repair and molests a child. I could see the home owner suing the TCEQ for letting a known felon hold a license that allows them to inter a house.

I am no Lawyer, but people have won big settlements for less.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I see that for security installers, locksmiths and chem guys but in Tx you can shoot someone for anything serious, where's the worry?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

http://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public/licensing/criminal-conviction-guidelines.pdf

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I received a call yesterday from a lady at one of the school districts. One of my buddies used me as a reference for a job he was applying for (got the job later in the day!!). But one question she asked me was whether, to my knowledge, if this person had been convicted of any crimes against kids, or something along that line. I was kind of shocked that they should have found anything like that by doing a criminal background check, instead of asking me. Just seemed odd.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The whole " do ya hang with didlers" is kinda a weird question.

7. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Your record only shows what you were caught doing. The people around you know more about you than your police record shows.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

They didn't ask if I knew of him doing anything bad like that, just if I knew if he was convicted. But if I knew he had done something like that before, we wouldn't be friends, and he wouldn't be using me as a reference.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Giving Refs is dangerous.

I would use the term to the best of my knowledge

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If I had done more (this was pre-internet) background checking, I would have saved myself a lot of money and embarrassment.