1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tying down equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed's lawn service, Nov 6, 2003.

1. ed's lawn service

ed's lawn service LawnSite Member

I always tie down my wb with two racketing tie downs, but I have seen alot of LCOs in my area that don't tie their machines down. When one of my tie downs broke one time, my mower slid all over my trailer. I was just wondering...
  2. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

Adjust parking brakes we have never tied ours down to time consuming
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

its a big FEE ($500+) if you get nailed with improperly secured equipment. I run only 1 WB so what i do is attach a chain to each deck loop in the front, then i rachet it back to my gate. it keeps my gate from wiggling and rattling, and keeps the machine from sliding all around.

it takes a whole extra 30 seconds to load and unload. don't give me the don't have time BS.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Its a state or local law. My trailer actually has sides on it. If it rolls an inch or two, so be it. I have lawns to do.
  5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

My trailer is 2" wider than my rider (62"),and the rider is tucked right up behind my wb. They are not goin anywhere!
  6. Ron Greenwood Jr

from IL

yes it proably is a law but no one does it around here and I see no need to out the knew post.
  7. Ron Greenwood Jr

from IL

what I tried to say was look at the new post on the way. tie down or not
  8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I strap my stuff down. I learned the hard way. It took the third time for me to realize how my straps were slipping. Now I have a fool proof method. Remember, " Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time is enemy action." You always need to watch out for the enemy action.
  9. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I learned at the bosses expense about 14 years ago. We were pulling a trailer with an out front JD rider, had some old lady pull out in front of us, had to swerve to miss her. In doing so, we put 2 trailer tires off the side of the road into a small ditch. When the trailer bounced, the JD bounced right off the trailer! Totaled the mower, and luckly that's all. Now i strap all my stuff down.
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Ed,

Here is a quote from this post that discussed the ticket cost of unsecured equipment in a trailer.

Strap down those mowers!

"about $600 for not having equipment secured!!"