Tying down your blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & T, Apr 5, 2004.

1. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

I just recently purchased a Blower Mate by Jungle Jim for my Stihl blower which I also bought the adapter for it. The problem I have is that the Stihl blower isn't as sturdy/stable as I would like it. Here is the email I got from Jungle Jim:

Shawn,
    Hi. Hope you are having a good one. Your blower will be fine as long as
    you mount the Blower Mate facing into the wind. It will not require
    additional support. I apologize that you are unhappy with that. It will
    do fine though :) If you have any other questions or need further
    explanation, just let me know. Have a great weekend.

Which was a reply from this:

I just recently purchased the Blower Mate and the adapter for my Stihl back blower and was wondering what you recommend to use to strap the blower to the Blower Mate. A bungee cord? How safe is that. One thing I do not like is the fact that there is no support on the bottom of the Blower Mate for the back blower. Last year I bought Green Touch's back blower and liked it very
    much but I bought Jungle Jim's Blower Mate because it matched the color of my trimmer rack - purely cosmetic.

What do any of you use to strap your blower to the Blower Mate.

I have a Shindaiwa EB630 and face the same problem.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know how they build theirs. But I made my own for a Stihl BR400. Its similar to a factory one I seen. . Its just 2 round steel rods about 10 inches long that the blower slides down on , one on each corner of the back frame. I just welded the rods right on to the front corner of my mow trailer side rail. And welded a hoop to rest the blower tube into. No straps or bungees needed. Cost me about $1.50 in material.

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

C&T heres mine i made it myself and it works great stiffer than S*#T enclosed in the top is a spring that pushs the pin down and it's also lockable:cool:

mvc-005s.jpg

4. rookiemower

heres another pic:cool:

mvc-009s.jpg

5. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Hey rookiemower how do you keep it stable? The Green Touch blower rack I have has the bar that goes between the motor and the back portector to keep it in place.

I like your blower rack design.

I think what bothered me the most about the Blower Mate was the response I got back from the mfg in regards to my question, "keep my blower facing the wind". What kind of crap is that.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, the wind shouldn't have anything to do with it. I have the TrimmerTrap blower rack and it works great. Plus, I didn't have to mount it facing the wind because it is sturdy and designed well.

7. rookiemower

if you can see half way down in the second picture there is a piece of chain that sticks out from the side of the back part. there is flat stock and it has two pieces of chain one on each side that keeps it from moving around

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always been afraid of hanging my blower on a "tree" and so I'm just finishing up a mount where the blower sits on it's own shelf up towards the top of the side of the trailer. It faces towards the inside of the trailer and so all you have to do is to back up to it and slip the straps over your shoulders and your ready to go.

I was worrying about securing it and tried bungie cords and the ratchet straps, but disliked both. Finally, I decided to go with a hefty metal strap that goes over the blower and down to the other side where it is latched, or locked.

Rookiemower, that looks like good work... and I see the bracket for your mower in the background on your 2'nd pic. Geeze, I wish I could weld!

9. rookiemower

yeah its definitly a great asset. pretty soon im gonna start a thread for all the other stuff i've made, including woodworking projects. i've built tons of stuff, armoires, poker tables, bars, low rider bikes, go-kart bodies, and a ton of other stuff to

10. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

I'm so happy with my new blower that right now it's in the passenger seat of my truck with a seat belt around it ready to take off in the morning.