Type-K vs. Type-L Service

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my house that was gutted down to the studs due to an extensive mold problem. I'm redoing everything, plumbing, electrical, landscape, etc...

Anyhow, I'm putting together a plumbing parts list and was interested to see what you guys thought the pros and cons are to running Type-K vs. Type-L form the meter to the house. I know Type-K is over kill in a residential system (at least in these parts it is), but figured the extra thickness would be nice in a front yard that will eventually be heavily planted.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I imagine a pickaxe could pierce type K tubing, so I think it's more a matter of being careful than anything else. Northerners don't have these concerns, with service runs laid below the frost line.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Service is only required to 12" here, but then there are no freeze concerns either, well at least below ground.

4. My thing with water lines to the house would be using 1" copper and making D-mn sure the plumbers do a clean job with quality shutoffs that are easily accesible in a large box ouside the house. I don't know that K vs L is going to make that much difference.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You bet. Not only am I requiring 1" from the meter, but 1" cold water line throughout the entire house.

Yes, I am supplying the shutoffs, about 10 of them (most for a rather complex filtration system). Also designed in an Asco solenoid valve which I will be using as an emergency shutoff.

Has anyone had the opportunity to observe crushing resistance (from roots) of Type-K vs. Type-L?

6. Wet_Boots

You could always step up to threaded brass pipe, if the line has to survive crushing forces. Copper tubing is now priced at dollars-per-foot ~ I'll wager that brass pipe might now be priced at dollars-per-inch.

7. The root damage I've observed isn't crushing but pulling it apart. Usually it involves an old oak tree.

8. We use 3/4" and 1" soft k copper for meter taps, a tree root will not crush soft k. 1" might be overkill since we can get about 25 gpm out of 3/4", plus 1" is almost double the price of 3/4" ....plus any outside connections IMO should be flared vs soldered...

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I've observed both in PVC, Oaks are usually the culprit. Good chance I will be planting an Oak, hence the concern.

I'm using 1" on the cold mains primarily for pressure reasons. We decided to abandon the existing plumbing and run it overhead.

I'm curious, why flared over soldered? I don't believe anyone around here does flared, at least I have never seen it.

10. Wet_Boots

Mechanical connections always. If not flared, then waterworks compression fittings, which are replacing the flare fittings on some utility work I see.