1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Type of discharge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pastaboy62, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new Scag with a mulch kit, I took it off a little later because it kept dropping all the grass under the deck, so now i use it w/ no discharge chute, just open. Does anyone else do that? do the clients care? Thanks
  2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i dont personally. i mulch all my jobs. if it clumps, well then i do the unthinkable and bag it. but i dont service any huge properties either, so if i have to bag a couple of my jobs its no big deal. so far ive only had to bag a couple of times this year, because of damp conditions. im not about to leave a yard all clumped up. not professional in my opinion. but you know, opinions are like @%$holes, everyone has one and the usually stink!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We ran the kits on all our 36" mowers as they were always close to stuff. Some of the 44" had them too. But anything bigger was on properties that were big enough to run open. just point away from the house on the 1st pass.

How do you bag if you have the mulch kit on?
  5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Discharge chute? What's that? I don't think mine is even dirty, well, dusty from sitting in the garage maybe.
  6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly what ^^^ he said. But I did build me a OCDC that I can use as a chute also. Works pretty good also.
  7. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

pm lawn, i simply reach down and pull the mulch plug out. i just have a 21 inch. maybe this question didnt apply to me. sorry
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We put a OCDC on our Z-TURN and large walkbehinds.Flip the handle,no grass thrown into mulched beds.I don't think OSHA would like seeing companies with employees, with mower's without some kind discharge chute in place
  9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention the insurance companies either.
    There exists many precedents concerning coverage and payouts wherein an obvious alteration to the equipment has allowed the insurance company not to pay. Removing a discharge cover, pulley/spindle covers, safety switches all increase your liability.
  10. PMLAWN

The toros had the rubber one that was good for not doing damage if it hit something. I never removed the shield but I would un do the spring, That way if I needed to flop it up it would stay till I put it back down.