1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Type of Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by J Dawg, Jun 13, 2013.

1. J Dawg

J Dawg LawnSite Member

I have been perusing the internet, and I found the Stihl HS 56 C-E hedge trimmers. I am going to go to the dealer tomorrow to see them in person. They look pretty lightweight and durable to me online and has received some good reviews. Plus it's a Stihl! :weightlifter:
  2. Dtkeith

Dtkeith LawnSite Member

The 56's are a great saw. I've used them, the 46's and a km110r with the adjustable saw attachment, as well as various electric saws. Simply the best. Super clean cut, quick, and fairly light for the features.. be careful though, second day after I got the 56's I cut my finger open.. 9 stitches later I'm fine, with a very oversized gauze left middle finger!!
  3. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

My first hedgetrimmer was a echo hg160. I got eight years of extremely hard use out of it before the engine gave out. Went thru two sets of blades. Bought same type for the replacement. The blades stay sharp for a long time and be careful for they will cut metal fencing.
  4. Benfield

Benfield LawnSite Member

Stihl HS81T 24" also have an older HS80 30"
  5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We have a HS80c and a FS90 with the articulating head on it as well, it's a great combo. in addition we have corona manual trimmers for the fine tuning as well as bypass hand pruners. you shouldn't be doing shrub or pruning without manual trimmers as well.
  6. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

i have found that the crapsman type wont start after sitting for several months, but my commercial stuff starts great even after sitting.
  7. J Dawg

J Dawg LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm sorry I have not been able to update this in a while. I have been super busy lately and just got a chance to go to the Stihl dealer today. I decided to buy the HS 56 C hedge trimmers. :weightlifter: I got a pretty good deal on them since I bought the 6 pack of HP ultra oil with it to double my warranty.

Thanks for all the advice everybody! :waving:

2013-06-24 10.24.04.jpg

2013-06-24 10.24.20.jpg

2013-06-24 10.24.27.jpg
  8. Dtkeith

Dtkeith LawnSite Member

Congratulations on your new saw j dawg! Now don't go stickin no fingers in them!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. J Dawg

J Dawg LawnSite Member

Thanks Dtkeith! I will have to make sure i count how many fingers I have before and after trimming. You're supposed to have 9 fingers, right? ;) But no really, thanks for the word of caution. :)
  10. 4seasonsturfandsnow

4seasonsturfandsnow LawnSite Member

I always end up hitting my thigh with them.