Type of jobs that you hate to do?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by geoscaper, Dec 13, 2004.

1. geoscaper

geoscaper LawnSite Member

For me it's seeding work. Too many problems; homeowner doesn't water enough, areas rutting out after heavy rains, homeowner leaves the straw on too long preventing germination, and so on. What types of work do you do on an occasional basis, but would prefer not to.

2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got done watching the Eagles get another win, although ugly. Anyway, I wouldn't say that I hate these jobs, but I don't look forward to maintenance jobs. I took on a few maintenance jobs this year and I found that the homeowners just didn't want to pay much and didn't really appreciate the work, as compared to hardscape or new install. I did a few leaf removal jobs, which I actually enjoyed doing, but as far as what I could charge and the lack of interaction with the homeowner, I would say this is my least favorite work to do.

I find with hardscape, people are willing to pay more just because you are the one doing the job, if you have a good reputation. Whereas, with leaf removal, for example, the leaves are gone or their not.

3. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

I greatly dislike jobs I don't make nice profits on... whatever they are. I also dislike jobs for friends... they expect to much for nothing.

4. Flyscaper

Flyscaper LawnSite Member
    from USA

I will second on the seed jobs. They stress me out sometimes, to many variables. However there is nothing worse than mowing.Thank god! I only had to do it couple of times @ the end of the year. Thats when you send the guys out and you schedule estimates :D

Shaun

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate spreading mulch. The spring just sucks for me.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Shearing wintercreeper is probably towards the top of this list. Haven't figured out a way yet to not have to shear it twice, though next time I'm gonna try raking it out *first*, then shearing and raking again.... Might eliminate the second pas with the shears.... Even though we now have a set of long shears (weedeater attachment), I still don't like doing it.

Another is pruning/planting anything with thorns, for obvious reasons....

Dan

7. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

I would have to say small seeding jobs. Like a couple thousand square feet (4-5K)... and with objects in it. Can't really use any equipment of any size due to it being small. But it takes forever to it by yourself. Plus, like mentioned before, the homeowner watering, wash outs, etc. I try my hardest to avoid during these jobs. Price myself way out of the ballpark. Give me an one acre lawn that is in the wide open:)

8. GatorLawnCare

GatorLawnCare LawnSite Member

Brazilian Pepper Tree removal

9. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

removing/trimming/installing pyracantha

10. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Doing any job with the customer keeping me company.

Bryan