Type of Lawnmaower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToddS, Dec 2, 2003.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

What would you recommend and why? A hydro or belt drive? I will be puchasing a 36" WB soon and want to know the advantages/disadvantages to each. Thanks

2. Lil' Cabrito

Lil' Cabrito LawnSite Member

Hey ToddS, I just bought a 36" ferris hydrowalk and this machine is wonderful. I also have a 48" gravely belt drive that I started with and the ferris runs circles around it. It seems that I always have to wait so long for any part to arrive for my gravely also. Good Luck!

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

after using both for years i have to go with the hydro. Belts tend to slip, especially when wet and do not have the power that the hydros have. But don't just run out and buy one, if you're just getting started look for a used belt drive, it will work hust fine until you have some capital. Lok in the Atlanta Journal form this past Sunday. Someone is selling a 36" Scag belt drive for $500. Might be a piece of junk but it may be a great deal for a starter.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hydro. Buy new. Be done with it.

I use the eXmark 36" TTHP hydro, L O V E it.
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydro but steer clear of Walkers unless you can afford lots of downtime. Toro's have worked best for us so far.
  6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Honda commercial 216.
  7. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

If you are only doing residential you may want to measure few gates and consider a 32". IMO

A 36 would keep me out of about 20% of the (back)yards that I do, which would amount to a lot of push-mowing.