1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Type of oil??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by N.H.BOY, Oct 10, 2007.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

HELP-----I just bought "used" a billy goat walk blower with an 8hp briggs motor and a kohler 16 hp leaf loader, not sure what type they painted it. But I went through all tune ups and now not sure what type of oil I need for these. They are my guess 4-5 years old. Thanks for the help.
  2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

10w-30 synthetic or 10w-40 conventional is what I use in my 10hp Intek, also I believe it takes the Champion RJ-12YC spark plug which would cross-reference to Autolite (APP)5224 (the APP stands for autolite 2x platinum, 5224 is standard).
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks alot for all info
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, but with American engines such as Briggs and Mopar the 5w-30 seems to be too thin, that stuff turns black in no time, 1000 miles in my truck and it's badly polluted, not sure if this is a sign exhaust and oil are mixing, thou Kohler is an exception to this rule, I suspect it has to do with compression which is also a measure of how tight or close the rings are to the cylinder walls.