1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Type of rails used for bedding sand?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Clarkscape, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Clarkscape

Clarkscape LawnSite Member

Guys,
    Over the past 4/5 years I have used 1" galvanised steel rails to set my grade for installing my bedding sand. I've noticed that some of the rails are no longer true, as I remember them when I bought them. Some now have slight bends to them so I am weeding them out. Before I buy more, I had a question...
    I saw another guy using 3/4" or 1" cube stock, steel rails and wondered if maybe they were a more durable than what I have been using. Thoughts? What do you use?

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I use 1" od steel pipe.

If you wanna be like me then that's what you gotta do

Posted via Mobile Device

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I use 3/4" gas pipe and union them together
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

Contractors are still using pipes?
    I use them once and a while when it's a square or somthing similar prep. 1" EMT GAL Pipe I found works the best. I've seen some other guys out there using PVC, 2x4's and 1/4" metal pipes.
    Definitely want to go with a 1" pipe.

5. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

I have used gas pipe and pvc both work well if your base is flat the pvc is great. if you have imperfections go steel. thick wall is a must.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Yea i found pvc to be too much work to keep straight. If youre going to do this more than once just buy the gas pipe
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use 1" O.D steel pipe and I weld a piece of 3/4" pipe inside them sticking out about 6"s on one end so I can slide the pipes together making them as long as I want. It also keeps your screed from hanging up on the unions.