type of seed needed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1999frontier, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I had a customer wanting me to overseed their lawn this spring. I've got a couple of questions:

We are still in a drought so far this year (NC) and wanted to know what kind of seed I should use? The back yard is full sun and the front is mostly sun in the afternoon. Not sure what kind of shade it has during the morning hours.

When is the best time to do this?

Should I aerate before? Spike or Plug?

I was thinking about tall fescue but wanted to run it by you guys. I found this site http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Home/Default.aspx

Let me know what ya'll think.

2. appturf

appturf LawnSite Member

I can help you with this I am sure! will you tell me which county you will be overseeding?

3. 1999frontier

from NC

Nash County

4. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

I would contact your local ag. extention office. And be sure you are aware of any watering restrictions that may be in place for your area. I would use a tall fescue blend from Lesco (say what you will about them) called Team Mates. It also has perinnial ryegrass, which will come up quickly and starting filling in the areas you seed. You've got to put as much time between germination and the hot dry summer as you can. And don't forget to make sure the customer hasn't had pre-emergents put down. Otherwise, you're already dead in the water.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, i agree

6. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Get on it ASAP! I would highly recommend aeration and then overseeding with a good fescue blend! I used to do several in Asheville during the spring, but always made sure they were completed by St. Patty's Day!

7. 1999frontier

from NC

what kind would you suggest that would be drought tolerant, mostly full sun except the front yard is partial shade?

8. TScapes

If you have a Lesco near you, or a John Deere Landscapes (the same thing now)... go and get their tall fescue blend. Otherwise, go to the Depot. They sell the Lesco Blend, too.

9. 1999frontier

from NC

I looked at lesco's website and the closest dealer is about 60 miles away.

Also, spike or plug aeration?

10. TScapes

If that's the closest, what about the Depot or Lowe's? Surely there is one of those.

Definately Plug! If you want really good results, cut the grass shorter than normal, like about 2 1/2" or so and then rent a "Slit Seeder" or lawn renovator. It has teeth (blades) that will cut grooves into the ground, and a seed tub that drops seed directly into the slits. You'll get better results if you do it in a cross pattern (second trip across). Not knowing your situation, this is more costly, but potentially better results.