1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Type of tiller for sod?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jul 30, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of tiller should I rent for installation of sod ???

I just recently removed 4,000 sq feet of old sod that was full of weeds and junk.

The site has about 1-2" of good topsoil already and before I was going to level and grade the area, I'd like to rent a a tiller and till the entire area up good and then use a metal rake to level and grade the area, then install new sod..

I was wondering what type of tiller should I get?

roto tiller, rearhind? no idea!

:confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Rear tine tiller.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get a 3-point mounted on a compact tractor then life is grand. Otherwise you have 3 options in decending order, 1- rear tine is certainly the easiest walk behind to use, 2- front tine will do the job and is cheaper and you will get quite a workout while hanging on for dear life, 3- round point shovel and a weeks worth of ibuprofin for the aches you will experience.

I just did a small sod job in 85 degree heat, it was a pita to say the least as it was 1 row next to a new patio and driveway. Hard clay soil. Very sore but made good bucks. Good luck.
  4. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been there mowed..

Try shovelling 16 yards of topsoil with 2 wheel barrows in 8hrs..
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

uh..... no thanks.