1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Types of accounts

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Jan 18, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What types of accounts do you guys do?<p>Me<br>Private roads about 10% of my business. Also some of the quickest to do.<br>Residental Driveway 20%<br>Condos and Appartments 20%<br>Parking Lots 50%<p>Anyways what do you guys do?<br>Driveways, Private roads, Public Roads, Parking lots, Condos, Appartment Buildings, snow hauling <p>In maine there just isn't enough big parking lots. A lot of mom and pop store size ones. All my accounts except for about 2-4% of my driveways are a yearly price.<p>Geoff<br>
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Private Roads: 5-10%<br>Residential: 45%<br>Parking lots: 45%<p>It used to be residential was where the $ was, but now with the end-loaders and 18-20' plows, that's changing.<p>Condos & Apartments I leave to my colleagues :)<p>
  3. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

We do 100% commercial accounts,such as strip malls,shopping centers,and companys such as The gap distribution center,marriott,Barnes and Noble,Stop and Shop We started out doing residetial driveways about 3 years ago and now gone commercial,both for security and money <p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200
  4. Lazer

Security? I assume annual contracts? That does make sense. In our market (before pusher boxes & big plows became popular) a driveway truck was over 100% more profitable than a commercial counterpart, like I said that's changing, though.<p>All our driveways are flat fee per season, paid up front. Our commercial all all flat fee as well, but we miss out on a lot of big stuff because it's hourly or maybe per trip. <p>Also, even if the commercial plowing isn't as profitable with a pick-up, the salting (or in Maine, &quot;sanding&quot;) work is of course great money.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

What do you get for commercial lots-the shopping centers, not the ten-space mini-mart lots. Seems like a big investment, with the cost of loaders push boxes etc. Here its standard to leave a loader at the lot all season which means its not earning anywhere else, plus theyre not cheap to maintain so Im wondering where all the profit is coming from.<p>Bill
  6. Lazer

lawnguy,<p>Our loaders do several large lots each. They work with 1 pick-up truck each and travel right down the road. One stays in one of our lots and the other one the operator parks at his house. <p>Loaders (with big boxes or blades) allow 1 operator to clear co much more snow than a pick-up used to be able to. Like 2-5 times more, depending on parking lot and condidtions. We lease our loaders, so the cost of the machine in relatively inexpensive and the maintenance is almost zero.
  7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hey guys-<br>here in ohio we have somewhat infrequent snow, so when it comes, you gotta make good time.<br>My business is 60% residential, & 40% commercial. I am still a one man show, so I'm limited on how many I can take. Because of that, I find that driveways are much more profitable. Commercial market here is pretty competitive, & avg. small to med. size parking lot only makes you 50-65 bucks for 45 min. to an hr. I can do 5-8 drives at 20-25 bucks a piece in an hr. <br>I am currently working on keeping accounts close to home; right now I have the route mapped out in a giant loop, mixing res. & comm. as I'm in that section of town. <br>That is what works best for me.<br>-Smitty