Types of Bluestone

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by matthew horner, Jul 5, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working on a price for an install. The previous landscaper skipped town apparently.

I've got the plants worked out. The beds are pre-bordered for me with concrete.

Here's the problem. They want "bluestone" instead of mulch, or "whatever I reccomend" except for brickchips or anything organic.

I think that to them bluestone is that dark blue gravel. I've done some searches, and there's nothing like bluestone except for the slate lookalike. They are trying to keep bugs down, and are agianst organics.

My options, granite (78ml, crusher run) rubber mulch (ugggggggghhhhhhh) and ??????????????.

Please advise.
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

In my neck of the woods, the term bluestone is used for two completely different things. One is a natural stone that is quarried, split on layers, and usually cut into rectangular pieces for patios and walks (often called NY or PA Bluestone because most of what we get comes from there). The second use of the term, bluestone, is for a crushed granite that is blue in color and used for road base, gravel walks, etc,... Many people think that the latter is the same stone as the patio stone, but crushed. It is not.

If the gravel is what you are looking for, call places that sell aggregate and ask them if they have any 1/2" or 3/8" crushed stone that has a blueish color. You might ask them what they call it to clear up the confusion in the future.
  3. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I suspected. Thanks alot. Anyone know where to get this in central nc?