1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Types of Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I read a lot of threads on here, that have something to do with dealing with customers, as that is a major portion of our business. From what I have observed, most people will fall into a few categories.

A: Wouldn't touch a lawnmower if their life depended upon it, because they think it is below their station in life. Probably wealthy, probably old money. Have no real interest in their property, but want it to look impeccable so as to keep up with the rest of the country club members.

B: Worry about appearances. Usually have a good income, and don't really care what it costs to keep up with the Jones', just want their lawn to look nice, without them having to mess with it themselves.

C: Lawn is an extension of themselves. Worry about every detail. These people can be in any income range, but most are probably upper middle-class. Likely to be hands on if physically able.

D: Just want the grass mowed, and the property to look decent. Can be cheapkates, or not.

E: Super cheapskate. Have good income, but would rather spend the money on anything other than keeping the yard looking nice, as it is just not a priority with them.

F: Could care less. Would never have the yard mowed, if it weren't for city ordinances, or griping neighbors. Would rather spend the money on beer or lottery tickets. "Could you mow it once a month?". :)

Nearly all of my customers fall into category D, maybe a couple of category B, and a couple that fall into category F.

What is your customer base like?
  2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

80% "d" 10% "c"
  3. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

70% A, 20% B, 10% C
  4. TheKingOfLawns

TheKingOfLawns LawnSite Member

you for got E: COMPLETE F*****G MORONS
  5. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

HAHAHAHA...it had to be said.
  6. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I would think there are only two customers and you'll never know which one they are until after you service them for the first month---A:those that pay or B:those that don't!!! :usflag:
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

WE HAVE A WINNER..... :D

Everyone is different in their own way, including every one of us on this site. You must learn to deal with all people because in the end, all of them are the ones making you a living!