1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

types of mulch and "grades" of it

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kcameron, Feb 1, 2001.

1. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

Just getting into the "minor" part of landscaping (ie flower beds and mulching) I was just curious about mulch. I have seen it in the bags at the local hardware stores and for sale at nurserys in bulk, but what kind of question about the mulch should I ask? What types of mulch is out there? Does it come in different grades, or quality? Things like that I think I should know. I live in the eastern part of NC, if that helps w/ the answers. Thanks, Kevin
  2. Guest

I think they do pine mulches up here md I try to get a double shredded bark look at the mulch for tiny bark chunks the more the better less splinters I choose this for the smell and color retention double shredded because it packs better..and better texture...stay away from hardwoods bleaches in the sun easily and takes nutrients out of soil esp colored mulches I picked up a load out of way once and it smelled like horse stuff I was so embarassed putting it down always go to a reputable supplier I read an article once that a bagged mulch co was using a paper to blend and it killed the grass near it look up john shelley nursery-pa for the article....also I have used a mulch that caught fire if a cigarette was thrown on it...another thing dont get dusty stuff you wont be able to breathe for days after..bark because its natural color hardwood mulches they boil to get the dark color
    termites love hardwood

[Edited by Lawngeek on 02-01-2001 at 06:26 PM]