Types of sealers (Best)

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by PaceSetter, May 13, 2008.

1. PaceSetter

PaceSetter LawnSite Member

Hello All, new to forum thinking of starting a small sealcoating business. What is the best or most popular product(Sealer) on the market? Which product protects the best? Which product keeps its black finish the longest? Is coal Tar the only one that resists vehichle fuel leaks?

My nearest Asphault plant sells BlackMac- Oil base I guess, pros-cons?
    I can't find a Coal Tar supplier- Were do I look? Maritimes Canada.
    Thank You,

2. TylerD

TylerD LawnSite Member

Hey I am from the maritimes as well and recently started sealing... Blackmac seems to be a great product. What kind of unit are you running its interesting to see some people close to home on the site.

3. fullmetalbucket

fullmetalbucket LawnSite Member

We use black mac and we spray on, great long lasting results. Have used coal tar sealer before and like the results with black better. We find it lasts longer but some people find it's a little glossy ....

4. killerz44

killerz44 LawnSite Member

I am also in the maritime s, I ordered coal tar from Ontario, but Im sure it would be much cheaper to get blackmac, where are you guys getting the black mac from, ive done searches and cant seem to find the supplier.

5. BIGBOY2008

BIGBOY2008 LawnSite Member

One thing you need to know is what people often refer to as a "oil based asphalt sealer" simply does not exist. There is no such thing as a oil based asphalt sealer...never has been one and never will be one.

Simply due to the fact that if you apply any product containing oil onto an asphalt surface the oil will penetrate into the asphalt and cause it to soften into a mush. A coal tar emulsion sealer is considered a superior sealer due to the fact it is highly resistent to oil and gasoline.

6. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

I use black mac also, seems to be doing very good, last for at least 3 years, but if you cut down the product, then you won't get the same results.

7. fullmetalbucket

fullmetalbucket LawnSite Member

Hey JF, how long do you find it takes Blackmac to dry and how long should it take. That's the only complaint I've ever had.... takes a couple days before you can drive on it. Maybe I'm laying it on too thick!

8. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

36-48 hours on a nice sunny day, then they can park vehicles on it, with no tire marks what so ever.

I have some few complaints here and then, nothing major, about customers wishing they could drive on it 2 hours later...

9. sealcoater57

sealcoater57 LawnSite Member

10. BIGBOY2008

BIGBOY2008 LawnSite Member

The "drying time period" for coal tar asphalt sealers is approximately 6 to eight hours.
    The "curing time period" for coal tar asphalt sealers is approximately 40 additional hours.

The drying time period consists of the time frame where the water is evaporating out of the newly applied sealer. The curing time period consists of the time frame immediately following the drying time period where the UV rays of the sun cause the individual microscopic particles of the sealer to be interlocked and tightened together to form the finished layer of asphalt sealer.

The more humidity present in the air results in a longer drying time period. The cloudy days where lesser amounts UV rays are available results in a extended curing time period.