Typical Costs of an Install?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by bmwsmity, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

I'm just getting started with landscape lighting, and I've read many posts about typical costs to the homeowner ($200 per fixture installed).

What are the typical costs to the INSTALLER per fixture? What are the other costs involved in an install (wire, transformers, etc.).

Do the installers normally buy the fixtures for wholesale and then mark them up to retail price when they install?

Gross sales figures are nice to know, but in the end meaningless without a knowledge of the costs involved.

Thanks!

2. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I suggest you get these figures from your local distributor since homeowners may happen upon these posts.

If a homeowner happens to read this post, you should understand that landscape lighting is primarily a design profession. When you contract with a lighting designer, the bulk of the cost is for the design. Just as a fine art painter doesn't base his or her pricing on the cost of the paints, in the same way, lighting designers base their prices on the value of their artistic expression – a value that you will enjoy every day for years to come.

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm interested in knowing the cost too.
    I would not worry about the customers finding out the prices we already do for landscaping on here.

4. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

Great way of putting it. I'll get in touch with the distributor in my area and check with them. I already got on their website and checked the retail prices.

Thanks!

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Just like pricing any landscape service, materials, labor, overhead, design time and profit. As Steve said, design is a large part of lighting installation. Not just where the fixtures will go, but which fixture, which lamp, where to run the wire, which wiring system to use, the size and location of the transformer and many other aspects go into a good lighting design which results in a quality lighting installation. You must determine the prices that keep you profitable and able to do the best work you can. Quality products will also have an impact on your work and your pricing. Pricing by the fixture is an arbitrary way to estimate what a job may cost. It is not an accurate way to price. Site conditions can have a dramatic effect on installation time and must be taken into account. Fixture prices will also have a dramatic effect on pricing. There are some fixtures that sell for less than $50 and many others that are well over $100. Use a good formula that includes all of the expenses and your profit margin to arrive at pricing that is fair to both you and your client.

Kirk