Typical service day

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, May 23, 2007.

1. My day started out as follows...
    Called for a locate next week.
    1st call - all zones not working, located and repaired 4 wires chewed by ground squirrels.
    2nd call- checked system and replaced 2 R-50's with PGH's , 2 3500's with I-20's, moved 1 and checked for a leak.
    3rd call zones 5,6&7 not working, so we 521 the cut and replaced 4' of 18/8.
    4th call checked system, all good.:)
    5th call checked system and reprogrammed controller.
    6th call - checked a 1 year old system with 14 1804's with 18 van's installed and all heads popped up 1/4", I told the homeowner " we will have to perform a miracle in his front yard" so we hooked him up with 14 Rain Bird rotators.
    Stopped at supply house for more heads and a controller.
    7th call added a Hunter 12 sprayhead and replaced a PGP.
    8th call replaced a pgp from 88' and a r-50 with 2 I-20s and a surepop with a 1806.
    9th call replaced 6 maxi-paws with PGP's and 4 surepops with 1804's...
    Finished the day by returning 10 calls from today, and getting ready for a install tomorrow.

2. Forgot one call between stops 3 and 4...We replaced 2 5000's with I-20's and looked at converting a drip zone into a zone with 17 1806' spray heads on a 40 zone commercial site with a 2" main...

3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty amazing service day. The drive time in Dallas traffic alone would eat up two hours of that kind of day. I try to schedule the jobs close together but I also use first come first serve. On your 4th and 5th call which look like quickies do you have a minimum service charge or the full hourly rate?

4. Remote Pigtails

My day is now beginning. 4 pigtail orders to get out. One of them is really nice, 50 24s 30 12s 8 32s. A bunch of invoices to get out. Bills to pay. Better get the coffee started.

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Not Joking either:

Yesterday: 19 service calls

171 calls to my cell

74 calls to the office

plus:

Direct Connect minutes

2 hour meeting

1 residential install

& wrapped up a commercial job

Golf League

sleeved a road

6. Remote Pigtails

Those calls to my cell phone drive me nuts. I try to direct all calls to the business number and every year or so get a new cell phone number. Sounds like you are having a good year.

7. Remote Pigtails

london-I've been pretty pleased with my RB rotator conversions. I take it you are as well. Any unforeseen problems yet? I had one that stopped turning but dirt was piled on it during construction so I'm guessing these are going to be dirt sensitive.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

3500=top dogs for small rotors...

5000=not so much for their category..

9. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

did one job yesterday,
    customer calls about lack of pressure.
    So I go check the backflow and turn it on.
    It gurgles, on and on.
    So I went to the door and ask to see the main in the house,...huh? she says what main?

So I go turn it on 100%.
    I almost walked with my minimum but something says ....you wern't here your minimum . ANd she was writing the check and I just told her I wasn't finished.

So I decided to check the sytem and found just about every head way out of arc.

I just doubled my minimum and worked there, when done I called it a day.

10. Remote Pigtails

I should do that more often. Work begats work and I never know how to call it quits. i bought a fishing boat this winter hoping it would force me to slow down when bass season started. hasn't moved in a month.