Typical time to mow, edge, weed eat an acre?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nick, Feb 29, 2000.

1. Nick

Nick Guest

Is there a standard for an acre? I keep hearing about 1.2 to 1.5 per sq ft. I am also wondering what is the typical acre lot? Is there a conversion between sq and acre? all I could find is about 46500 sq feet in an acre... Is that right?
  2. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Nick,one acre is 43,560 sq.ft.I think what you reading from the other post is for a minimum charge for under 10,000 sq ft.To answer your ? would depend on what mower you are using.
  3. Nick

Nick Guest

Looking at a 36in Scag or Exmark. Want to make sure I could fit through most gates.
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless every property you're going to do has a gate: Get a 48&quot; or larger and push-mow those fenced in areas.<p>36&quot; mower on open turf is for the birds.
  5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Tweet-tweet! We've got 3 36&quot; mowers. (We've also got a 54&quot; and a 52&quot; though)<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
  6. Mowing deck sizes eXplained:<p>21&quot; completly useless<br>32&quot; urban assult mower<br>36&quot; a little better than complete useless<br>42-44&quot; a little better than complete useless<br>that trims better.<br>48&quot; Fits in full size p/u with a handy ramp.<br>This is the smallest (48) machine you should buy.<br>52-54&quot; This is the best all around deck for larger residential work and makes a good industrial trimming mower.<br>60-62&quot; Every crew should at least have one.<br>72&quot; is way to big for hilly area I live in<br>so they only have use on athletic fields.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I started out with a 38-inch deck, that got old reeeeaaaal soon, nice thing was it fit in the bed of a Mazda pickup(those were the days!) now it collects dust in the garage while I blow out 1/4-1/2 acre lots with my 52-inch turf tracer, the 21-inch mower is used for the occasional dog run and the one gated back yard.<p>Anyone with a discharge chute for a 21-inch toro rear bagger, the one that replaces the bag, contact me off-list.<p>Bill