Typing a long post just to lose it. Help?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by KirbysLawn, Dec 11, 2002.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Here'e the question. Sometimes when I type a post and hit the "Submit Reply" button it may not go thru or when a post is made with 60 secs of another post you get the "vBulletin Message Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 60 seconds" message. When you hit the "Back" button you go back to the new message box but all the text is gone.:angry:

Most of the time before I hit the submit button I copy my text just incase something goes wrong. Can this be fixed? I know it has got to be with how Lawn Site is set up, a simular site using the exact same software, doing the exact same functions keeps the text when you hit the back button.

It really is a pisser to lose all the text and if it could be fixed it would be great.

2. If I write more than a few lines I do it off line so it doesn't have to be redone if lost..
    Keeps me from wanting to break things.

3. KirbysLawn

LOL, so I'm not the only one.

4. Nope used to happen to me on a regular basis.

I try to keep them short n sweet.

5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

One solution is to type the post in Word (or whatever word processing program you might have on your computer) and then copy (copy and paste) the text to the post.

I believe Guido deserves credit for this idea if I remember right.

Anyway, that will keep you from losing them.

6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I've been the victim of the blank post thing myself.. most infuriating thing that can happen at seemingly random and most often at the time when I am most rushed and don't have time to re-type all my great 2 cents..

Using word or notebook is a great idea..
    thanks

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

yes if i remember that was guidos idea, it has happened to me quite a few times, andl like said when in a rush, is there anything that can be done? i do think i will start doing it in a word processor.

8. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

I have investigated this and found out that the forum was sending No-cache HTTP headers, which caused your browser to automatically reload a page, including when you pressed the back button.

This can be useful to make sure that you always see the most recent content, but it can also be troublesome if you encountered problems while posting.

I have disabled that feature for now (I will re-evaluate this later), so your post content should still be there when you press the back button.

Saving a copy of it in your favorite text processing software is still a good idea, in case your computer crashes, though.

Regards,

Pierre-Luc

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yes this has happened to me many times especially when I forget to copy it---- I know yall are happy for that;) But it does make you want to throw the putor out the window

10. KirbysLawn

I thougth there might be an easy fix, sometimes I just want to make a quick post without opening a word processor to make it. Thanks