Typing on downloaded templates.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A1Lawns, Jan 19, 2007.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I already asked this question in the business forum but forgot this one existed so I'll ask here as well...
    After downloading templates for flyers, postcards, etc., I can't seem to find a program on my computer that allows me to fill in my own business info on them. I have Microsoft Works, NotePad, WordPad, Adobe, and not having any luck.
    Am I doing something wrong??? Is there another program I need?

Any input would be much appreciated.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

what I would do is this.
    do you know how to copy and paste?
    that's what I would do.
    open up the template, and copy it, then open up what software you want to use, say Microsoft works, then you paste in what you copied into microsoft works, then you can edit it any way you like.

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

A1
    it really depends on the file type of the template you downloaded. Are they excel files, pdf files etc.?

4. Gator-1

Gator-1 LawnSite Member

It sounds like to me that these documents were not scanned in as OCR. OCR format allow you to edit the fields. Try copy & paste as suggested however it may only allow you to type in the field (ie if the name had a line next to it, it would probably move over as you type). But as least that way you can edit it some. There are also computer programs (google OCR) that allow you to convert.

5. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

Copy and paste??? WHATS THAT? :rolleyes:
    Of course I know how to copy and paste. Thats what I'm saying...I copy and paste the template yet still cannot type over it, on any program I have.

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The majority of the free templtes are in formats that will not allow for editing (ie, PDF). You will have to find other file types to edit. Most people only use templates for ideas to make their own layout. It would look pretty bad if you and another company distributed the same material, but whatever floats your boat.

7. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

No, I am not trying to use someone elses template. I want to make my own. But to copy and paste a nice backround or image from the web somewhere and being able to type text on or next to it would be nice. I'm just saying that _any_ template or image whatsoever I simply can't type any text on. Also, if I copy and paste any image, I am unable to type to the left or the right of the image, as big as the image may be.
    I think it just may be as simple as one command within Microsoft Works, but I can't figure it out.

8. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

Have you tried saving the background/image as a watermark (in MS Works); try Format object too for getting text to wrap tightly around an image.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

sorry I wasn't trying to imply that you were stupid. i've been asked many times how to copy and paste something by computer newbies, i didn't mean anything by it.

10. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I know you didnt. I was just being a little sarcastic. :) You were just pointing out what seemed to be the obvious solution. No offense taken.
    Still havent figured out the problem though.