1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

u aint worth the 2 cents

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 5, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

another true story, and u guys thought i was messed up? ive come to a conclusion, the rest of the world is nuts, im fine. started a new customer beggining of july. she requested i knock each week for a check, i told her we dont do that. so, we mailed out the bills for the month of july, here is the note that was with her check:" i requested that u knock each week, and since u did not, i am deducting 37 cents for the price of the stamp, and 2 cents for the envelope, i wont charge for the time it took me to fill out the envelope, lick the stamp, and bring it to the mailbox."
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ok bobby...I think that you are pulling our leg. But if you are not pulling our leg, I would hire her right away for running the accounts receivable department. Someone that acts that way needs to be put to work for me;)
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

LOL :D I swear, you and I have had some of the same customers.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, and u wonder y im so nasty to people. u can only kick a dog so many times before it gets vicious
  5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

man, o man. I thought people were tight around here. I would get rid of her, seriously. this is the beginning of the end. PITA
  6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure signal that you should try to lose her... but you can mess with her first. If she sees the humor (below) you may actually have yourself a good customer.

Next time bill her the normal fee plus $.39, with a note that says "due to an increase in administrative expenses, we must increase the fee for servicing your account."

7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Remsen1 that's a good one, also next time you cut her lawn time yourself how much time it takes you to nock on the door and get the check, and charge it for it.
  8. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Here are a couple of ideas for you to resolve this issue.

1) Raise her bill by $1 send her a note back about additional processing fees that need to be accounted for for your additional book keeping time to make your accounts balance.

2) When you send out her bill include a self addressed and stamped envelopes .

It's a hard call to know which one would upset her more! :D

Seriously wouldn't sweat the 39 cents despite the principal of the whole thing

9. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I say charge her the extra .39 and say that it costs you more to print her invoice than other customers because you don't get the bulk rate, and you certainly would not take a check from her without an invoice to give her on the spot.

Of course on the other hand, you're saving the .39 yourself by not having to send her a bill in the first place.
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, You never know she just might be pulling your leg but if she isn't the payment was received by its due date I would not sweat it. If it really bothers you ask her if she deducts this amount from the electric company, the water people, the phone people etc. Unless she is making payments to these people online she is spending the same amount to pay them.