U-haul trucks!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by johnnybravo8802, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Tyler's Lawn Maintenance

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

A guy in Greenville uses one of the early 90's Toyota 10-12 ft box truck and it hasn't given him any problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. rcallese

rcallese LawnSite Member

Just looked up some local dealers who have used U-Haul trucks for sale. The box is painted white. 14' for $2,500. Interesting idea for a frugal guy like me. Thanks

3. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

You better go look at it and drive it. For that price, you'll probably get there and only find two wheels and a windshield. That's the way it's been working for me.

4. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive heard from a few people that bought Uhaul trucks and they seem to be pretty good trucks, one was a ford f350 with box, another was the 17ft e350 van. The boxes on some of the Uhaul trucks have huge wheel well humps and getting a mower with a 48" or wider deck would be a problem, unless you built a false floor, but that takes away from the floor to ceiling height. Uhaul does also sell it as a cab and chassis without the box, these can be had usually for under $1500. around here. It would also be pretty cheap to get that orange stripe painted white at any auto body shop, maybe even a tech school would do it for just the paint cost or maybe even free? I looked at the Ryder trucks and they want way too much for their Isuzu trucks..they had a 2001 NPR with 16ft box and 165,000 miles and they were asking $15K!! I do not know if any Uhaul location uses the Isuzu truck, but I think some do. It would be nice to work out of a box truck like these.

5. Kut Kreator

Kut Kreator LawnSite Member

Aarons rentals sells used trucks, they are located up in Jackson County (Dawsonville) contact me will give you more info.

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Around here, Aarons uses Isuzu NPRs with I believe 12ft boxes, or 14ft, I know they are not 16ft though. I would be interested in finding out more on these trucks.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Around me, most of the U-haul trucks for sale are JUNK. Most of the trucks they rent while U-Haul owns them are junk too. If your looking for a smaller 1 ton box truck, I would go to either Penske or Ryder. Might pay a bit more and have to put up with a gas engine over the diesel but the truck overall is better maintained.

The engines on most of the used U-haul trucks all seem to be in need of new Injectors, glow plugs and possibly an injection pumps. Now, if you buy one and get lucky, the rest of the engine should last for another 75k or so somewhat trouble free. The rest of the truck though seems to be rough and in need of repairs. Brake systems especially seem to be over loaded and weak as the steering seems to be excessively sloppy.
    Just my $.02

8. Mile_high

Mile_high LawnSite Member

Where are you guys finding listings for these? Are they all just retired fleet?

9. Tyler's Lawn Maintenance

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

We are selling a 1996 Mitsubishi Fuso with a 14ft box for $4000 if anyone is interested.

10. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member