U.S. Lawn Care Facts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DowntoEarthLLC, Nov 15, 2003.

1. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

U.S. Lawn Care Facts

EPA estimates that the amount of pollution emitted by a lawnmower operating for one hour is equivalent to the amount of pollution emitted by a car driven for approximately 20 miles.

30 to 60 percent of urban fresh water is used for watering lawns (depending on city).

$5,250,000,000 is spent on fossil fuel-derived fertilizers for U.S. lawns.

67,000,000 pounds of synthetic pesticides are used on U.S. lawns.

60,000 to 70,000 severe accidents result from lawnmowers.

580,000,000 gallons of gasoline are used for lawnmowers.

$25,000,000,000 is spent for the lawn care industry.

$700,000,000 is spent for pesticides for U.S. lawns.

20,000,000 acres are planted in residential lawns.

Thats alot of Pesticide.
    Watch what your doing guys.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I saw a study once that emplicated cow farts as a major source of hydrocarbons in the atmosphere. I suppose we should do away with cows huh? Your post has an elitist stinch to it. I have a healthy distain for environmental nazis and there desire to control every aspect of life. Most of you radical environmentalists are nothing more than operatives for some communist front organization.

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

What's your point??

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<i>EPA estimates that the amount of pollution emitted by a lawnmower operating for one hour is equivalent to the amount of pollution emitted by a car driven for approximately 20 miles.</i> Which car?What about boats,trains,jet skis,tractor trailers?

<i>30 to 60 percent of urban fresh water is used for watering lawns (depending on city)</i>Water evaporates and becomes what?You guessed it,water again,in the form of rain.Not to mention the grass grows and emits more oxygen into the air.Yay!We can breathe!

<i>$5,250,000,000 is spent on fossil fuel-derived fertilizers for U.S. lawns.</i>again,more growth equals more oxygen.How much fossil fuel is used for gasoline for autos,boats,rv's,etc.,,?Should we stop driving altogether?

<i>67,000,000 pounds of synthetic pesticides are used on U.S. lawns.</i>Wohoo!Synthetic,which means man made,which means someone has a job making this,which in turn means they have money to pay the lawn guy.Keep the economy going!

<i>60,000 to 70,000 severe accidents result from lawnmowers.</i>Once again,what about automobiles,boats,trains?Not doubting the numbers and not doubting the danger.Think safety.

<i>580,000,000 gallons of gasoline are used for lawnmowers.</i>Again,what about autos,boats,trains,etc.,,Someone really has thing against lawnmowing it seems.

<i>$25,000,000,000 is spent for the lawn care industry.</i>How much on,let's say,the clothing industry?We all know the dangers of clothing.NO MORE CLOTHES,NO MORE CLOTHES!!

<i>$700,000,000 is spent for pesticides for U.S. lawns.</i>So the consumer wants a pest free lawn?Who'd a thunk?How much is spent on pesticides for indoor use,like flea foggers,roach killer,etc.,,?Take it up with the Orkin guy

<i>20,000,000 acres are planted in residential lawns.</i>Breathe in real hard.Smell that?That's oxygen produced by 20 million acres of lawn.

5. locutus

from NC

You have to be able to read between the lines with these types. What he is saying in a nutshell is that he is operating a superior business to ours. Like most of these enviro-nazis, he is emplying that he is a good guy and we are the bad guys.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Locutus, I do understand that. I just playing with Down to...

I always thought we are here to help each other in some sort of way.

7. locutus

from NC

Good response NickN.

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Grass...........Mother Natures water filter.:D

9. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Did you hear about the incident with the world trade center? Seems to me more health problems, more $$$ was spent, and resulted from than ever could from this business. How about a 87 billion dollar ongoing war? You could pull up all facts about anything and they would all look bad. Who cares. Did you know that the air you breathe is killing you one breathe at a time? Ironic. The act of breathing is actually the cause of death.

Looks to me that this business has a little catching up to do to catch up with that 87 billion dollar bill. Bigger fish to fry.

PS. There aren't nearly as many lawnmowers operating across the country as there are cars operating on the roads at any given second. You numbers may sound large but are in fact small potatos.

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Naw, just stick a biohazard filter in their-----!:D