U.S. Lawns Franchise Opportunity; Questions?

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by U.S. Lawns Home Office, May 6, 2010.

1. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Reminds me of another guy and his association that exploded onto the forum and disappeared just as fast. As I recall he was going to "ROCK THE INDUSTRY", come to think of it he had been associated with US LAWNS at one time. :laugh:

2. Jail Bird

Jail Bird LawnSite Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

ericg likes this.
  4. Jail Bird

Jail Bird LawnSite Member

Lets try it again

Back in the 80's this guy I knew bought an Ice Cream franchise. I would go in there and hang out and was helping him get up and running. It was "turn key" they set you up and marketed it. When he bought it aside from some basic parameters he was told it's yours, pay us the royalties and run with it. About six months in two guys show up from the "Home Office" and they tell him he needs this milk machine. They go into this rap about how the home office partner with the manufacture of it and all that. He's like na, I got a really good one already. The one guy was like "Listen you NEED this machine, it will be here Friday" and they left. The machine with an invoice for like twice the value of said machine show up Friday with a guy to "install" it. THAT is a true story.

My point is not to say that these guys would "force" someone to buy an eXmark but rather it is an EXTREME example of how much pressure the "home office" can bring to bare on the franchisee. I am willing to bet that "if" you deviate from the model and don't hit the numbers these things all come into play when you receive "guidance" in the form of support.

5. Patriot Services

Ok, for a minute I thought you were pro franchise.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  6. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

start off small...work your way up...you want the commercial work? build a name for yourself in the high end residential market.....then go after the commercial work....you absolutely DO NOT need to pay fees to anyone to build a MM $ company. if you put the time and effort in you will make the contacts needed in the commercial market....it sometime takes months if not years to finally persuade a comm. client to give you a contract...be persistant and communicative on a regular basis....it will happen....no need to buy into a franchise unless your affraid to go it alone....just my 2 cents

7. Nelsen

Nelsen LawnSite Member

I have never even seen a U.S. Lawns truck or crew. Never seen any advertising in print, on the radio, or on TV.

I can say after tripling our business in each of our first three years in business, started from the ground up, there are a whole lot better ways to spend 29K and 4% of sales. Honestly? Unless the company is willing to hand you the contracts, I'm still not very sure what it is people are paying for.

In addition, commercial landscape management is the last place I want to be anyways. Residential is far and away more profitable. I have some commercial stuff, but it's less worth the headaches than residential.

8. ACC_INC.

ACC_INC. LawnSite Member

The un informed think buying a franchise is a license to print money, same as buying a bobcat. Not the case. I live just outside of Tampa. Less than a 100 miles from their base of operations. I have been in the construction and service industry for 10 years. Reading the posts I was suprised US lawns was a Florida based company. I have no clue who they are. Never seen them on any maintenance bid list or anything state wide?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Im with you i lived in brandon and never heard of them, i know one thing they don't do Tampa Stadium.

10. Patriot Services

Saw one for the first time in long time Friday. 3 imports spreading red mulch at a few Regions bank branches. 10 year old F150 towing a rusted out mesh trailer full of mulch. No mowers or even trimmer racks. Still seems like an odd way to run a business.:usflag: