1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

U.S. Lawns Franchise?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Sep 3, 2004.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Has anybody bought a U.S. Lawns franchise and if so..........how did it benefit you over just starting on your own?

I saw a guy the other day with his truck lettered up and really couldn't see much difference in what he was doing and what I am doing, other than he has to pay for that sign on the side of his truck. Surely they don't run around and get business for you.......they don't take the equipment payments out of the franchise fee do they?

Where is the benefit at for this type of franchise? A McDonalds or Subway I understand.......a lawn service I have trouble with.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never seen a US Lawns before, are they a mostly southern franchise?

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Who ever pays 30,000.00 and a % of what they do to US Lawns. As the old saying goes A FOOL and his MONEY are soon parted.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The advantage of a franchise? Established name, lower advertising costs, they can negotiate better insurance rates, equipment prices because they are a bigger company. franchises have their Upside but you lose some money and flexibilty to get that upside with any franchise. I'm suprized there aren't more lawn franchisors out there. Scotts also has franchise ops.

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I just noticed them around here this year. They do a few homeowners associations in the area.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i wonder if they do have a sales force that is included??

7. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

No sales force. What you get is $30k in debt for them to tell you to get a new truck, bigger shop new equipment and their computer program. So basicaly It cost you $30k to spend another $50 -$100k and wear someone elses name on your shirts and trucks.

8. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

They haven't been around here for more than a year. At least I don't remember seeing their trucks before then. Now they have a very big presence in this area and a lot of commercial accounts. Two big new malls, banks, convience stores, etc. They have several rigs, 3 man crews. They are the big player in our area and they only just started. Is that worth 30K? I don't know.

9. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

But wouldn't you be like working for someone else, I don't know about the rest of you but I do this because I don't want to answer to no one but my customers. I for one cannot see myself paying 30K to have someone dictate how I am going to run my bussiness. :rolleyes:

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I suppose if you didn't have a clue about what you were doing they might be beneficial, otherwise I'd have to agree........it's just debt.

I also don't buy that "purchasing power" bit. I bet I could go to my dealers around here and 1: They've never heard of them and 2: They ain't cuttin' me any slack on the price of anything because I bought the franchise.

What difference would it make anyway.......what you could possibly gain in the equip purchase you'd lose in fees and royalty payments.